User Permissions

jsrarkjsrark Member Posts: 50
We are using Version 5.0 SP1 on SQL Server 2005.
We are usign Standard Security method.
We use Windows Logins for user acccess and a limited number of Database logins for batch extracts through SQL.

My colleague (also SUPER user) has created a new company and changed (Windows) user logins to control access per company.
Example.
User A1 to A10 can only access Company A.
User B1 to B60 can only acccess Company B.

Now we have problems with all users for Company B. They have repeated messages like "you do not have permission to access the Item Table"....

We have deleted and re-created user permissions.

Any known issues and solutions in this area?

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Have you gone through, role by role, and checked the access for one of the users in question? What access does it say they have for the Item table?

I only ask because NAV isn't going to randomly say someone doesn't have permission to access a table. I can think of a few posts I've answered here where the poster said they had checked, listed the roles, and it was obvious that they hadn't when you looked at the permissions assigned to each one.
  • jsrarkjsrark Member Posts: 50
    It's kind of you to reply :) but we have not changed any roles (which were all working previously), we have only modified the user permissions by adding the Company Name.

We have now reverted to our original Security Setup and our SQL Administrator will clone the database tonight for further investigation.
    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Any known issues with Version 5 SP1? :?:
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Have you Synchronized your permissions?
    Every time we make changes to user permissions. :)
    You're on Standard security so you shouldn't have to synchronize.

Is your item table shared across all companies? As in DataPerCompany = No
    No.
    As I said in my initial post the users recieve messages like "You do not have permissions to access the Item table".
    There were many such messages for different tables.
    It only affected users with permission for one of the companies.
  • bteredesaibteredesai Member Posts: 129
    Hi,

Check db.owner in SQL user log in setup for affected users.

Thanks!
    Bhushan
    Sorry I don't understand your post. Can you please be more explicit. :)
    I understood that it was multiple tables, but you have to start with something concrete, thus the Item table. I think they keyword in the error message is Access. It is not saying Read, Write, etc.

What happens when you give SUPER only for a specific company? Do they still get the error? That should tell you whether or not it is a legitimate permissions issue (you shouldn't get the error as you would have access to every object for the company) or some sort of code issue.

Doubtful, but maybe there are some functions that are performing a CHANGECOMPANY and running code.
    For Example.
    The users get a message like
    "you don't have permission to access the Sales header table" as soon as they try to open the Sales Order Form
    or
    "you don't have permission to access the Item table" as soon as they try to open the Item Card.

It happens to all users who have had their permissions changed to restrict access to Company B i.e. the permissions have been updated witht he company name.
    All users who have access only to Company A can use system
    It happens even when users are removed from Navision and SQL and then re-created through Navision.
    Previously (when the Windows Access Control table had empty Comapny Name) all users had access to data in accordance with the allocated permissions.
    There have been no changes to code that would change Company.
    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
  • ganixganix Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I have same problem. We are using NAV W1 5.00
    I want to configure permission. For example: Just seniority account change to posting, other is only read.. etc

How to configure it.
    I'm trying User Right Setup. But i don't understand. which table is selected, which table is permission.
    Problem was resolved by Renaming the company. Then the user permissions per comapny was functional.
    Why? I don't know.
    By any chance, were you logging into the database with an Icon that pointed directly to the server / database / company?

I have seen some permission / SQL errors when the startup parameter values were not properly capitalized. For example

.../finsql.exe servername=MyServer, Database=SoMeDaTaBaSe, company=My Company

would log you in, but if your database was actually SOMEDATABASE then you would get errors on certain things. This was on 3.7 and SQL2000, though. I never tried it with an improperly capitalized company name. Just a thought.
    Problem resolved and now operational.
    Problem traced back to original setup of user permissions. :D