error migrating mbs 3.70 to sql 5.01

amaurys.torresamaurys.torres Member Posts: 25
i am migrating database from mbs 3.70 to nav 5.01 sql, i did a backup and i am restoring it to a sql database that i created.

it shows me errors on dates and descriptions, some tables are not having same types of fields and some are not having same lenght.

my question is , how can i get a "list" of tables and fields on nav 5.01 sql that would produce an error ? i mean, i wish to correct the errors before the restore tells me , so i save time not doing corrections, backup and restore every time i find a new error !

thanks !

Comments

• Imranx101Imranx101 Member Posts: 21
    By running Test Database. File -> Database -> Test. In option tab select 'File' option and choose file name and run test database. All the errors you will see on that file. This way you will save time.

But why you are restoring 3.7 database to 5.0 sp1 database? This is wrong. If you want to upgrade from 3.7 to 5.0 sp1 you have to follow correct upgrade procedures.
  • amaurys.torresamaurys.torres Member Posts: 25
    thanks Imranx101

i think i followed right procedures,

1- backup of 3.70 native version

2- restore of 3.70 native version in new server ( sql)

3- conversion of 3.70 native version to dynamics nav 5.01 native

4- backup nav 5.01 native

5- restore backup of 5.01 native into 5.01 sql version ( here is where i get errors because sql detects them

when you meant "test database" you mean it exactly in which stage ? before restoring it into sql version opening the database with native version of nav 5.01 ?
  • Imranx101Imranx101 Member Posts: 21
    test database on your 4th step before you take backup of native.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    My guess is that you did not fully merge the modifications from 3.7 to 5.0. It appears that the base fields in version 3.7 was modified... :(
  • danlindstromdanlindstrom Member Posts: 130
    thanks Imranx101

i think i followed right procedures,

1- backup of 3.70 native version

2- restore of 3.70 native version in new server ( sql)

Before making the backup in the native you must check/fix corrupt data, such as invalid dates.
    In the MBS Upgrade toolkit there is "W1 Upgrade ToolKit\SQL Migration\Migrate.fob" with such a tool

or
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37650
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30351
    Regards
    Dan Lindström
    NCSD Navision 2.00 since 1999 (Navision Certified Solution Developer)
    MBSP Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009