deleting special characters from item description

southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
Am facing a problem ,deleting a special characters (a^,u^)from the item description that user has entered with careless and my customer is having more than 1 lakh items in the table in which more than 25% of it is having special characters in it. i need to remove it by checking that 1 lakh items. i had tried by creating a report with item table and written coding under onaftergettingrecord using DELCHR,but it is hanging the system as it has 1 lakh items in table(online database , server is in USA). kindly guide me

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Are you sure your system doesn't work anymore when you started your report? I mean if you have more than 100.000 items then the batch job could take a while. And it may seems like the system doesn't work anymore although it does.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
    it take more than half a day if i start running the report by 9am in the morning..... in between tha navision istself is not accessable(Means hanging) is there is any other way to remove the special characters.
    there are certain special characters which i need to delete cannot be mentioned in coding like for example

(Item description = SWR Pipe Type B SL á 3.6Mtr(12ft)á 90mm) . how to make navision system understand this character ( which is bold). kindly guide
    Try to enhance your system or rather use another system. I guess you don't have access to the server. Otherwise it could help to start your report on the server.

Is that special character also in the Search Description? If so you could try to use the key "Search Description" and filter for this character.
    nope it is not but it is in Description
    there are certain special characters which i need to delete cannot be mentioned in coding like for example

(Item description = SWR Pipe Type B SL á 3.6Mtr(12ft)á 90mm) . how to make navision system understand this character ( which is bold). kindly guide
    Try to use the integer value of the special characters.
    i got that special characters by going

Start -> Run -> charmap

and copy the symbol from there to NAV...
    there are certain special characters which i need to delete ,that cannot be mentioned in coding like for example

(Item description = SWR Pipe Type B SL á 3.6Mtr(12ft)á 90mm) . how to make navision system understand this character ( which is bold). kindly guide... i had passed these special charaters in navision like

corrstr:=DELCHR(getsrt,'<>','àû');

but still the special characters is not getting deleted. wats is the fault ?
    :-k
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    edited 2010-05-20
    Problem is we see a-acute ie:
    U00E1.png

This seems like an unlikely character for a user to choose. I'm posting with Google Chrome and can add any UCS character: 动态资产净值 (Machine translate of "Dynamics NAV" to Chinese)

So, assuming that's what you typed, what characters are the users seeing and why is it different to you?

BTW: If you just want to run your report you could put a COMMIT after every update that way it'll run even slower but won't lock the table. (Add a dialog variable to see how far you've got and make sure it's a processing report - reports get VERY slow after a few hundred pages)

PS: A-acute and A-grave are different characters the ' slopes different directions.
    can anybody tell me how to pass in DELCHR Fucntion to delete these special character
    there are certain special characters which i need to delete ,that cannot be mentioned in coding like for example

(Item description = SWR Pipe Type B SL á 3.6Mtr(12ft)á 90mm) . how to make navision system understand this character ( which is bold). kindly guide... i had passed these special charaters in navision like

corrstr:=DELCHR(getsrt,'<>','àû');

but still the special characters is not getting deleted. wats is the fault ?
    :-k
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    take a look at this thread.
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39842
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n