NAV 3.7 To 2009 Upgrade Error

yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
Hi Expert,

I'm upgrading Indonesia version 3.7 to Indonesia version 2009. I've a little question.

1. Can i directly upgrade 3.7 to 2009 ? (Quick guide said 3.7 to 2009)
2. Can i use Developer Tool Kit for localization (Indonesia)?
3. Do i need to upgrade step by step (3.7 to 4.0, 4.0 to 5.0 and 5.0 to 6.0)?

When i directly upgrade 3.7 to 2009, i got this error
You can not delete or change the type of WHT Bus. Posting Group field (in G/L Account table) xxxxxx

When i check the field id, i found it....

3.7-3.6 - 16000 = WHT Bus. Posting Group

- 16001 = WHT Prod. Posting Group

2009 - 28040 = WHT Bus. Posting Group

- 28041 = WHT Prod. Posting Group

So i can not import and restore database. i can not go next step. :(

Kindly, please advice to me.

Best Regards,
Yukon ](*,)
Make Simple & Easy

Comments

• ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    I am not sure of 2009 but you can directly upgrade from 3.7 to 5.

So you can try first upgrading 5 then 2009 or if you don't get so much error, you can manually transfer old base fields to new version fields. (Get new fields from destination and insert them in old base for the merged version, then transfer data between fields in custom version)

I've experienced that localization has no effect on NDT except some problem came with STX file.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • yukonyukon Member Posts: 361
    Hi ufuk,

Thank 4 your reply. When i do data conversion, i got a lot of problem. Because some of 3.7 table structure is different with 5.0 or 6.0. Eg. WHT Entry Table. So When we data conversion i don't know 3.7 wht entry data go to where at 5.0?

Best Regards,
    Yukon
    Make Simple & Easy
  • ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    2009 version has not been released in our country and I haven't do any upgrade to it. So I think other guys can help you better.
    When upgrading from 3.7 to 5.0 I've also experienced problems with localised version fields and used mapping tables in which I've put relations between old base fields and new version fields. I manually transfered this fields before importing merged version objects. You should better go step by step: fix table in which you get error, then go to the next one...
    I don't think that there is a huge difference in localisation fields between versions (I've got error only in a few fields) so it shouldn't be so hard to accomplish.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • SpyrootSpyroot Member Posts: 45
    Hi guys,

NAV 2009 has been re-programmed and now works with web services. There is no way to upgrade your database directly from 3.7 to 2009.
    Also e-commerce granule is not longer available on NAV2009. So if you are using e-commerce trough NAV it's time to start thinking to upgrade your site as well.

We are in the same situation here. What my NAV guru recommend to me, is that we need to merge object by object. If we can't found some objects in NAV 2009, we need to generate the object.

Also I heard from a NAV sales representative that there are some utilities to do the upgrade, he mention that takes half of the time to upgrade.

I'm going to start creating a test environment to proceed with the test.
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    yukon wrote:
    Thank 4 your reply. When i do data conversion, i got a lot of problem. Because some of 3.7 table structure is different with 5.0 or 6.0. Eg. WHT Entry Table. So When we data conversion i don't know 3.7 wht entry data go to where at 5.0?

Best Regards,
    Yukon
    Do you have the version of the upgrade toolkit that's been localised for your version of Navision?
    As these objects are in the number ranges for country modifications they should be handled by that part of the upgrade toolkit.

Are you sure the objects are actually 3.70. If the database has been through a technical upgrade before they may be from an earlier version in which case you will have to do a two stage upgrade, ie to 3.70 first.
    Our database is 3.10 and our objects are 3.70A. right at the present time I'm looking for the tools to start a test enviroment
    Spyroot wrote:
    Our database is 3.10 and our objects are 3.70A.
    That really doesn't sound right. Red ball or Blue ball?

IE:what colour's the ball in the center of the logo (eg on the Help about screen).
    I got blue colors. The version says: Version US 3.10 (3.70A).
    Okay, that means your objects are probably version US 3.10 and your executable has had a technical upgrade to version 3.70A.

What do you mean by "start a test", I guess you mean for an upgrade to NAV 2009?

To upgrade to the latest you need to first upgrade your objects and data to 3.70A.

Then you can do a technical upgrade direct to 5sp1 or NAV 2009 sp1.

If you're using SQL2000 you'll probably need to do a backup & restore using an fbk as the most recent versions only run on SQL2005 or later and 3.70A doesn't run correctly on SQL2005. Of course if you happen to have both SQL2000 ans SQL2005 running you can do an SQL upgrade on the database then your technical upgrade.

With the new client upgrade the data to the correct version (IIRC the data upgrade is identical for both V5 and V6) with objects.

Do a last backup, testing etc and you're done.

Easy :mrgreen:
    Thanks rdebath for your help.

What I mean by start a test environment is to setup NAV in another box. This test will not interfere with our production server.

Since this is my first upgrade, I'm kind of nervous and exited at the same time.

Regards,