Picking problem

guiarsguiars Member Posts: 12
Hi,

I would like to have your opinion on my issue. First, we use Navision 3.7.

When we create a pick from the shipment window, there is a bin where we should pick the stock on the picking list. For different reason, sometimes warehouse employees pick the stock from another bin. Sometimes, they have a real good reason to do it. They write on the picking list which bin they have picked the stock from. Then the shipping department take these papers and manually change the bin code in Navision. The problem is that sometimes the bin that employees took the stock from was reserved for another pick, so they cannot change the bin used for the real one used.

Is there a way that the bin on the picking list be only a suggestion and do not reserve the stock. This way, that problem will not happen anymore.

I hope my issue is clear enough to help me... Sorry for my english, it is not my first language!

Guillaume

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I don't have a solution, but just a comment.

You are trying to get a programming solution to a non-programming problem.

I am sure it can be done, but then what is next. I would concentrate on solving the problem of warehouse people picking from the wrong location, rather then change the program to avoid fixing the real problem.

The whole point of picking from bins is to make things easier and more accurate, if you remove that, then why use bins at all. After all what are the second set of warehouse guys supposed to do, when they go to pick an item and it is not there. Now they have to stop what they are doing and find where else the part is located. wouldn't it be better to have the first pick done from the proper location so the second pick can also be completed without interuption. If you change the programing you are guaranteeing that your warehouse will always be ineffeciant, because you will be saying to your warehouse employees do what ever you want, we will just program around it.

Just my opinion
  • guiarsguiars Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

Thank you for your opinon. I agree with you and this it the point I tried to debate... But here is a situation that happen and that is not accurate. We have a sales order for a full pallet... The suggested bin (A) contains the half of a pallet and the bin (B) contains a full pallet. It is not accurate to create a new pallet from the bin (A) and the unwrap the bin B to get the half of the content and then rewrap your new pallet. I can understand employee to take the full pallet in bin (B) that is already ready and even wrapped!

What do you think?
  • klavinklavin Member Posts: 117
    Have you looked into possibly using unit of measures and breakbulk in the warehouse?

Example: Bin1 1 Pallet of Widgets (100 eaches) Priority 10
    Bin2 50 eaches Priority 1000

Sales Order Example 1:
    Order 1 Pallet (Unit of measure)
    Pick will go to Bin 1 to pull the inventory.

Sales Order Example 2:
    Order 100 Eaches
    Pick will go for Bin 2 for the 50, then Bin 1 for the remaining 50. The pick will have a breakbulk activity to break the 1 Pallet down to 100 eaches, then take 50 eaches.
    -Lavin
    "Profanity is the one language all programmers know best."
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    My suggestion would also be outside Navision: Make the bins bigger. So what Navision sees as one bin may be several 'bays' in the warehouse. You could even call the bin something like 'bays 12 through 15'.