SQL 2008 64 bit and NAS

AGerNavAGerNav Member Posts: 9
On an SQL 2008 64 bit engine i have observed the following behavior:
Whenever i activate the scheduler server, everything goes well. Packages are transferred correctly from one server to another. Nevertheless, in case i start the NAS service, not all information is transferred. For instance, i am using a job to send transactions. And while all data from the transaction header table are transferred accurately, data from the linked tables seem to be ignored. Has anyone confronted this problem as well? Please advise.

Comments

• rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    Huh?

"Scheduler server"? "Packages"? Sounds like you have an add-on.

But the NAS itself can't tell if the DB server is 64bit or 32bit. Errrr, Windows 2008 x64 does omit some automation objects, ones that have been deemed to be insecure when used by MS Internet explorer.
  • AGerNavAGerNav Member Posts: 9
    Let me rephrase and simplify: forget all about Scheduler Server. The database is set on an Windows Server 2008 64b machine and uses SQL Server 2008 edition. The NAS service is not responding. Has anyone implemented the NAS functionality under these conditions without having any problems whatsoever?
  • mostlemostle Member Posts: 5
    Hi AGerNav,
    yes, we run several installation with NAV2009 SP1 NAV Service on a Windows Server 2008 64bit and SQL Server 2008.

We had some issues with MSMQ, but we also found a workaround.
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    AGerNav wrote:
    Let me rephrase and simplify: forget all about Scheduler Server. The database is set on an Windows Server 2008 64b machine and uses SQL Server 2008 edition. The NAS service is not responding. Has anyone implemented the NAS functionality under these conditions without having any problems whatsoever?

Which is the exact build number of your NAV (finsql.exe) and NAS (nassql.exe)? ARe you shoure you're using a compatible version?
    An the Windows account which is used by the NAS service is properly configured on the SQL Server?
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
    stryk wrote:
    AGerNav wrote:

Which is the exact build number of your NAV (finsql.exe) and NAS (nassql.exe)? ARe you shoure you're using a compatible version?
    An the Windows account which is used by the NAS service is properly configured on the SQL Server?

(finsql.exe) --> Version GR 4.00 SP3, build no: 24050
    (nassql.exe) --> Version 4.03.23305, build no: KB940718
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    AGerNav wrote:
    (finsql.exe) --> Version GR 4.00 SP3, build no: 24050
    (nassql.exe) --> Version 4.03.23305, build no: KB940718
    Hmmm ... these versions are not supported with Windows Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 - you need to have at least NAV 4.0 SP3 Update 6 Build 25143 (better higher).
    See also http://blogs.msdn.com/german_nav_developer/archive/2010/03/05/zusammenfassung-der-betriebssysteme-die-von-microsoft-dynamics-nav-unterst-tzt-werden.aspx
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
    Re-opening the post:

We did find a workaround to make the NAS play (the NAS service was installed on another work station with Windows 2003 Server OS). It is imperative though, to set the NAS on t he same work station. Let me restate the problem with a few extra tips:

1. finsql.exe) --> Version GR 4.00 SP3, build no: 25143
    (nassql.exe) --> build no: KB940718
    2. The jobs are running on schedule. Only Header data are transferred. Linked tables are ignored. Naturally, we are experiencing severe loss of data.
    3. The database is set on an Windows Server 2008 64b machine and uses SQL Server 2008 edition
    4. The User Account the NAS service uses is the local Administrator.
    5. if i start the NAS as a process from CMD using the command
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Application Server\nassql appservername=<>,servername=<>,database=<>,company=<>,
    startupparameter="LSRSCHEDULER DDN1, typefilter=",NETTYPE=TCP", everything works just fine.

Could it be a user account issue on Windows Server 2008; An authentication problem perhaps; I 've checked the Account's properties and everything seems fine. NAS responds well as a process, not as a service though.
    Please advise.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    From your last post I guess that you have programmed something in NAV that copies some data from multiple tables into some other tables (NAV?) or even db's (NAV?). So, we've come from a technical problem to a more functional one. To help you in some ways you need to give us a little bit more info what we're talking about here (architecture, objects, code,...). Until then yes, it could be an authentication problem or maybe not.

And one more thing, use Windows services to start and/or stop the NAS and monitor the event viewer for possible errors.
    Correct, i am using the LS Retail Scheduler granule (Scheduler Job) in order to transfer packaged data from the local server to the central server (using the LS Retail Data Director 2.28 Version application). I' ve already tried starting and stopping the service and the event viewer is clear. No errors occurred, only the Information message:

"The description for Event ID 20010 from source <service name> cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

But that should not be a problem (as i read in various fora). What kind of extra info could you use; Could you be more specific; It is my guess though that the nature of the problem is rather technical than functional. Just a feeling though.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    LS Retail is a very specific solution and I doubt that you'll get a big help in this or any other forum. Since your problem is a serious one because you are loosing data at replication you should contact you NAV partner or the company that implemented it.
  • ddmanddman Member Posts: 2
    I have seen some posts about problem running NAS with LS Retail on 2008. Usually the issue is access problem, as Windows 2008, Vista, 7 are all locked down by default. Check the user that is running the NAS Service that it has to have full access to the folders where Data Director is installed, specially the Folders where CFront files are. The user has to be able to create folders and files there. This is usually the case that you can run the job when you run it from the NAV Client, but not from NAS.
  • sujicornsujicorn Member Posts: 1
    Dear AGerNav,
    Have you got any solution for this? I have stuckup with the same issue and I am using SchedulerServer instead of NAS. All the configurations are same. I even tried with xp_ndo.x64.dll. Still output is the same. Please help me out if you have done with it.
    Sujith
    Dubai
  • KishraguKishragu Member Posts: 45
    Hi AGer,

Lets split your problem into 2 areas

Linked tables not getting replicated:- You don't need NAS to test if a scheduled job is working properly or not. This can be achieved by running the job manually via NAV client from the box where your DD is installed. If the job runs fine and replicates all the data including your linked tables, then the setup of the job is correct and you don't have to worry about it. If it doesn't replicate the data even when run manually you need to check the setup of the scheduled job and how linked tables are attached to the subjob.

NAS not running as service:- This looks more like permission issues than anything else. I am assuming NAS is running under a separate "Windows Login" and that is added to Navision as well. When you tried running NAS from the command prompt, did you login to the server as NAS user or your own login? Probably if you try logging on to the server as "NAS" user and try to run NAS from the command prompt, it might prompt you towards a more meaningful error message.

Btw, NAS not running as a service has got nothing to do with how a scheduled job replicates the data via Data Director.

Cheers,
    Kishore
    sujicorn wrote:
    Dear AGerNav,
    Have you got any solution for this? I have stuckup with the same issue and I am using SchedulerServer instead of NAS. All the configurations are same. I even tried with xp_ndo.x64.dll. Still output is the same. Please help me out if you have done with it.
    Sujith
    Dubai

Dear Sujith,

unfortunately no solution has been found. You 'll have to go with NAS-process solution. Unofficially, this has been reported as a Microsoft issue.
    Kishragu wrote:
    Hi AGer,

Lets split your problem into 2 areas

Linked tables not getting replicated:- You don't need NAS to test if a scheduled job is working properly or not. This can be achieved by running the job manually via NAV client from the box where your DD is installed. If the job runs fine and replicates all the data including your linked tables, then the setup of the job is correct and you don't have to worry about it. If it doesn't replicate the data even when run manually you need to check the setup of the scheduled job and how linked tables are attached to the subjob.

NAS not running as service:- This looks more like permission issues than anything else. I am assuming NAS is running under a separate "Windows Login" and that is added to Navision as well. When you tried running NAS from the command prompt, did you login to the server as NAS user or your own login? Probably if you try logging on to the server as "NAS" user and try to run NAS from the command prompt, it might prompt you towards a more meaningful error message.

Btw, NAS not running as a service has got nothing to do with how a scheduled job replicates the data via Data Director.

Cheers,
    Kishore

Dear Kishore,

replication works fine if the job runs manually or via the Scheduler Server (obviously this is not a Data Director issue). The problem appears when NAS is activated. The brief i have is that there is a Microsoft issueas far as the login permission is concerned.