Multiple menus

Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
Hello,

We are currently building an extension to an existing integration with NAV and I have a question regarding the menu system in NAV.

We are going to sell our two products separately, but if a customer has both installed, we want both menus to show up under the same main menu. With some testing, we have succeeded in doing this by importing our first menu (with ID 80), changing that menu's ID to 51, then importing the second menu (with ID 80). Is it realistic to expect companies using our product to perform this process? We noticed that with the default Cronus license, you cannot change the ID of a menu. Will companies have the proper rights via license to change the ID of a menu?

Thanks,
Greg

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I recommend to use different IDs from beginning... e.g. 79 and 80. You cannot expect that the company itself will renumber the menusuite...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
    79 is not a valid ID for menus, or am I missing something? It was my understanding that we are supposed to send our menu suite out with the ID of 80, as this corresponds to the Partner level ID. There are other IDs that correspond to Company, Country, and Add-on 1 through Add-on 10 (51-60). If we sent something out with an ID that they are already using, they would have to overwrite the current or miss out on ours, as there is no menu merge option.

Based on the NAV documentation, I thought we were supposed to send our menu with ID of 80, then they would change the ID to an available slot in the Add-on range. Of course, what the documentation says to do and the standard practices are not always the same thing.
    Ok, sorry, I though about 59 and 60 - in the addon range...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
    So it's fairly safe to put our menus in the add on range without conflicting with other customizations?
    Each time there is chance that there will be another addon with same menusuite ID.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • CapBruChaCapBruCha Member Posts: 1
    Don't copy menusuite 80 to menusuite 51!
    Let menusuite 80 untouched.

Create menusuite 51 with only your first product.
    Create menusuite 52 with only your second product.

So you can import the menus as needed.