Tracking Specification

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
Hello

This table is mainly used as temporary table for users to enter tracking lines on the form as well in many places in code to handle tracking entries.

In code they can all be changed to use Temporary reservation entry.

The Tracking Entry form should use the actual reservation entry. This will make the entering of serial and lot no much faster. They don't have to store them temporary and on close of form write them to the reservation entry.

The warehouse has its own tracking entry and form that can be replaced as well.

Is this a good design?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I do not understand why you are asking that? Whole warehouse area in NAV have bad design... since first version :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    You answered second part of my question about warehouse management.
    My first question is about SN and why using Temporary Tracking specification, if you can use Reservation entry table
    The reservation table is not used directly, because there is more business logic to run before the entries are created. Thus first collecting the info through temporary table and than run the logic to insert necessary entries into the target table (you know, sometime you are inserting 2 entries into the table, sometime one, with different types etc.)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I'll by the idea that the user input would make sense,

but why use the tracking specification in posting routines? look at CU 22 for example.
    Once again for "simplification" (which is in most cases more complicated... :-) - The data in Reservation entry is too complicated to just say "I need to post this and this lot/serial no.". Thus first there is process taking the data and creating simple table with needed info. I think that this process needs to be revisited, because it complicatecases, when you need to post e.g. transfer or something from your code with tracking. You cannot just simply fill the jnl line and post, if you want to keep the whole business logic.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    If they remove LOT and SN out of Item ledger (just like they did with bin) and make it only part of warehouse entry, it will simplify redundancy and complex code.
    generic wrote:
    If they remove LOT and SN out of Item ledger (just like they did with bin) and make it only part of warehouse entry, it will simplify redundancy and complex code.

That's questionable, because if you are using LOTs and FIFO, I think it will be not good for simplicity to divide lot from Item Ledger Entry. It will be hard to correctly apply the entries...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.