Upgrade from 3.60 to NAV2009 - VAT Entry records required/

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi,

I'm upgrading from 3.60 to NAV2009. Currently. the "VAT Entry" table has 3.7 million records that are 0.00 and aren't used for anything. "VAT in use" on the G/L Setup record is not checked. We are in the US and don't do any kind of tax processing whatsoever - no Sales Tax, no VAT, nothing.

I'm wondering if it's safe to delete all the records in the VAT Entry table prior to migrating the data. Any opinions?
Ron

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    VAT Entry = Tax Entry is a ledger table. I suggest against deleting a ledger table.
    As far as deleting the data before the upgrade? May I ask why?
    To make sure if it's safe or not, is to look at upgrade step 1 and 2 when upgrading from 3.6 to 3.7 or 4.0 and then to 2009.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    >VAT Entry = Tax Entry is a ledger table. I suggest against deleting a ledger table.
    But this table contains only records with 0.00 - there's no benefit from having this data at all. Nothing is reported from it. In fact, I've always wondered if you tell Setup that no VAT exists why it insists on creating empty VAT Entry records.

>As far as deleting the data before the upgrade? May I ask why?
    3.7 million records takes quite awhile to go through the data migration step and about 10gb of disk space. If I delete the records prior to the data upgrade step, it saves 1-2 hours of processing time.

>To make sure if it's safe or not, is to look at upgrade step 1 and 2 when upgrading from 3.6 to 3.7 or 4.0 and then to 2009.

If you're talking about Step 1 in the "Upgrading the database" from 3.60 to 3.70, Step 1 is not required if you are on 3.60. The upgrade documentation says "You must only carry out this step in the upgrade procedure if you are upgrading from
    Navision Financials 2.00" There's no reference to VAT Entry records in the upgrade documentation.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ron
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You should also look at step 1 & 2 from 3.7 to 2009.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • raveendran.sraveendran.s Member Posts: 119
    Stick to ara3n.

As he said , I suggest to go through the migrations steps. And migrating directly from 3.6 to 2009 is not advisable. Migrate to 3.7 or 4.0 and then go for 2009.

Though I am not clear about the VAt Entry, Normally, the entry tables will have a register table, in which Nav maintains the relationship of the entries between other entry tables. I recommend you to think from this point too before finalising your decisions.
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS