NAV 5.0 SP1 MRP Planning Rollup - Reorder Point Issue

joshplummerjoshplummer Member Posts: 39
I have recently decided to replace my highly customized version of MRP with the 5.0 SP1 planning rollup that was relased last year. This helps me get back to more maintainable, out of box code, and has corrected many fo the bugs that we've seen on a day to day basis.

But, there is one aspect that is particularly strange: Reorder Points.

When a Reorder Point is crossed, MRP appears to want to immediatley release a new order to replenish up to it.
The problem is that there may be orders existing that could just be expedited...even if they are beyond the lead time of the item.
So, if a PO exists for the same item and location, I would expect MRP to suggest rescheduling that PO rather than creating a new one.

Has anyone else seen this? This will drive my buyers crazy as it will constantly be telling them to cancel PO's and create new ones just because MRP isn't smart enough to suggest an expedite.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    I've experienced exactly the same problem. I've reported this issue to Microsoft and got the answer that it's by design and I guess it is but I don't think this is a good feature. They suggest using lot-for-lot instead. I'm not really sure how apics define the function of action message so I can't find a good argument that this is a bug.
    It used to be that if the future orders were within the reorder cycle then you would receive a message to bring these in. However as I am sure you can appreciate there are a lot of "if's" and "but's" in the setup :D
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • William_HollandWilliam_Holland Member Posts: 15
    I assume (since MBS has been contacted already) that planning flexibility in the PO's is 'always' and dampening is not active...? We have even worse issues in 4.0SP2. Funny design. But not as in haha :(
  • joshplummerjoshplummer Member Posts: 39
    That is correct. Planning flexibility is unlimited and Dampening is turned off.

But, this is not a dampening issue.

If this is by design, then it shows a design defficiency, or a serious lack of customer input into the design.
    I don't know of anyone that would see it useful for MRP to tell you to cancel an existing PO while simultaneously asking you to create a new one.

The sad thing is that before the planning rollup (which I admit fixes a ton of stuff), the 5.0 MRP code actually looked to reschedule PO's triggered by ROP...the Planning Rollup code doesn't even have reschedule logic in it for ROP events.

Has anyone found a way around this?