One DataItem - Many Sections Report problem

JNavJNav Member Posts: 12
Hello.

I'm doing a report, which contains a DataItem that has many Sections desgned, but only one showing at a time. And the problem is that when that DataItem reaches a certain number of sections (different for portrait/landscape) it starts printing them on a new page, despite the fact that it would fit perfectly on the same page as the header. All the KeepWithNext properties are set to FALSE.

Comments

• SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
    The problem is that NAV makes room for all the sections (in case they have to be printed), and that means that sometimes the page design messes up. What I usually do is to have variables for the values I need printed. And you use the logic you would use to select sections for populating the fields instead. That way you can settle for one sectoin, and it will always fit on the page. It can be a cluttered sections, but if done correctly it can be used for infinite variations.
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Sunset wrote:
    The problem is that NAV makes room for all the sections

To expand a little, NAV Reporting does not "look ahead" to see what will happen. Based on the type and number of sections for a data item it knows the maximum amount that COULD print and holds a space for it.

This is same reason you cannot easily print Page X of Y on a report. Try previewing a long report. Notice how it shows you each page as it is completed. It doesn't wait until the entire report is generated.
  • JNavJNav Member Posts: 12
    Thanks. Resolved it by deleting few sections
  • canadian_baconcanadian_bacon Member Posts: 91
    I would have indented a dataitem of type Integer and controlled section output using multiple instances of footers of this dataitem instead of body sections for the main dataitem.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I would have indented a dataitem of type Integer and controlled section output using multiple instances of footers of this dataitem instead of body sections for the main dataitem.

:thumbsup:
    This really is the "proper way" to do this. Its really the only clean solution.
    David Singleton