NAV 2009 Reseller Cost

GuyBehindtheGuyGuyBehindtheGuy Member Posts: 4
My organization is investigating becoming a Microsoft Dynamics partner. We have extensive experience with business solutions development, and feel that this is a great way to enter the ERP market.

My question is: how much does NAV 2009 cost to the reseller? This is important to know (but almost impossible to find out) to determine our profit potential. Considering the significant up-front cost in training and certification, it's strange to me that Microsoft doesn't make this easier to determine.

<rant>It seems like Microsoft wants a pretty significant commitment from you before they even tell you how much money the product actually costs. That's a pretty big question mark, since it determines the size of customers we can potentially sell this to. From the perspective of a newbie, I sometimes feel like I'm at an airport hotel being told: "Just invest today, and you can double--even triple--your investment tomorrow!!! Act now!!"</rant>

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    The question you are asking is Partner-Microsoft confidential and comes under NDA. I won't be able to tell and I wonder if anybody else will do.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    Further the partner margin may vary based on country location.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    The imprtant issue is not business systems development, but knowledge of computer accounting systems and ERP.
    Do people at your company have experience in installing and implementing accounting systems?
    This is completely different from developing add on solutions for businesses.
  • GuyBehindtheGuyGuyBehindtheGuy Member Posts: 4
    I still don't get it. So all of you spent thousands of dollars to get trained and tested on Microsoft Dynamics, became Certified Partners (if you weren't already), all without knowing how much money you could make installing and configuring this software?!

Maybe I'm not understanding what the typical "path" is for a company to become a Microsoft Dynamics partner. Were you all Navision partners before Microsoft acquired them?

<rant>Again, it seems like some sort of goofy club that you can't join unless you're already a member.</rant>
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Training can be done after you become partner. AFAIK There is no such requirement for becoming partner. Atleast we never paid a single penny for becoming partner.
    The important thing is to have a decent business plan which can make MS interested.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    wow... 2 posts and both of them rants... are you sure you want to get into this business?
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    ssingla wrote:
    Training can be done after you become partner. AFAIK There is no such requirement for becoming partner. Atleast we never paid a single penny for becoming partner.
    The important thing is to have a decent business plan which can make MS interested.

I thought that in order to become a partner you needed a minimum number of certifications and around 3 customers... :-k
  • SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
    There are quite a lot of parameters. Depending on what kind of partnership you want (registered, certified, gold...), there are various requirements. These include various certifications, license sales, customer cases etc.
    Your profit will also depend on a number of factors. Will you only be selling NAV out of the box, make very specialized custom solutions or somewhere in between. Based on these factors Microsoft offers various deals to the partners.
    NAV is intended for small to midlevel companies, so those are your customers. Although there are cases where your small corner shop will be using NAV, as well as multinational companies.
    My advice would be that you as a company decide which kind of customers you would like to focus on, find out what you can offer to service these customers and take it to a MBS salesrep at Microsoft. Afterall Microsoft offer a range of programs (GP, NAV, C5, AX) for the different size companies.
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    From October 2010 the system of registered, gold and certified is being retired.

There is a lot of information on the partner network, but this is published publically, not sure I can post the partner specific details here!
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres ... orkPR.mspx

Ultimately talk to Microsoft. When I was involved we met, talked, set out a business plan, they snapped our hands off then we embarked on training - we knew what we were getting however prior to signing the partnership deal - this may of course have changed since then!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I still don't get it. So all of you spent thousands of dollars to get trained and tested on Microsoft Dynamics, became Certified Partners (if you weren't already), all without knowing how much money you could make installing and configuring this software?!

Maybe I'm not understanding what the typical "path" is for a company to become a Microsoft Dynamics partner. Were you all Navision partners before Microsoft acquired them?

<rant>Again, it seems like some sort of goofy club that you can't join unless you're already a member.</rant>

Do you know how much you'll make after spending for a college tuition? Extreme example, but you get the point.

Often times, an investment may or may not pay off as you planned. NAV can be profitable and can cost you your shirt, just like any other business. If it's a sure thing, then everyone in the world would be doing NAV.
  • GuyBehindtheGuyGuyBehindtheGuy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the helpful answers (some of you.) Up to this point, I've been trying to follow the Microsoft Dynamics Path to Success, but the impression I'm getting is that most of you just called Microsoft and talked to them about becoming a partner. I'll do that.