SET Constants

bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
Hi guys,

I am a 100% beginner in NAV development, so please do not laugh a lot to my questions.
I have started reading Development 1 Manual and so far I have come up to SET constants. My question is:
Is it possible to use a decimal in a constant? I will give an example

will I get a FALSE if I check if 3 IN [1,2,3.14]

I tried but when I compile the codeunit NAV stops working and restarts. Is it the 3.14 that is wrong?
Boris
Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
the floor is concrete.

Answers

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Yes, that's right. It seems to be a :bug: .
    Type in
    IF 3.0 IN [1,2,3.14] THEN

instead of.

P.S. 100% beginner, but near to 120 posts? Must be an understatement... :wink:
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    I mean I am an absolute beginner in NAV development, not in NAV at all :)
    I am on my way of trying ...
    Yes, it works fine that way. Thanks einsTeIn :)
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bstoyano wrote:
    Hi guys,

I am a 100% beginner in NAV development, ....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In light of the recent development advice you have been giving, this is a very odd statement!
    David Singleton
    :)
    I have an idea of programming, but I have never done anything in C/AL. Although I can understand much of the code written in C/AL. So now I am about to fill this gap. Hope you don't mind :wink:
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bstoyano wrote:
    :)
    Hope you don't mind :wink:

Of course not. But you should try to understand that Navision is not a programming language, its an ERP package, so 95% of development in Navision is the base application, so I don't think you are a 100% beginner.
    David Singleton

... so I don't think you are a 100% beginner.

Thanks for the good opinion you still have for me :). I also think highly of you.
    As for programming and ERP - I agree that the more important part is the business logic embedded. Programming is just a tool. Although this can be applied on the ERP itself. To put it simple - the fact that my grandfather didn't know how to use a computer and an ERP doesn't mean I am any smarter than him. It's only that my tools are better and nothing else.

But as you already know learning happens step-by-step. So in order to learn and have a right perception of a thing, such as Navision, we start dividing it into pieces, and we learn it piece by piece. Because it is easier to "swallow". I have some knowledge from the functional side and a very-very poor knowledge from the technical side. In order to be fully capable of imagining what's the whole of Navision, I should have some solid knowledge from the technical aspect as well.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.