Effect of Automatic cost post check mark in Inventory setup

thinafansthinafans Member Posts: 88
Dear All,

I have a doubt. I posted 2 purchase invoices with and without check mark in Automatic cost posting.

1 st Trial:
Automatic cost posting =un check
Expected cost posting = check marke

cost updation I executed = Cost post to G/L and Aduct cost item entries batch job

2 nd Trial:

Automatic cost posting = check marked
Expected cost posting = check marked

cost updation I didn't executed any batch job

I didn't find any difference in the G/L entries. Some of the Nav Consultant are saying that If i check mark it will be generating some extra lines in the G/L.

Only the different is I no need to run Cost post to G/L batch job.

Can you pls explain me, to which G/L account this entries are going to posted ?

Regards,

THINA

Comments

• rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    Automatic cost posting posts the inventory costs to the G/L immediately the PI is posted. You don't, normally, have to run the Post inventory costs to G/L report after this.

With it turned off the costs are batched up for the next time you run the Post inventory costs to G/L report.

If nothing happens while the batch is waiting, the postings will be exactly the same.
    If changes occur between the PI postings and the G/L batch it is possible that multiple records in the batch will be added together to form a single G/L posting record. For most companies the differences are slight, but sometimes it can half the number of records posted to the G/L.

I'm probably wrong with the following point but I think it will only make a difference with Purchase Orders where you get expected costs that are changed when the invoice arrives.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Posting manually has two options.

If you post per Value Entry then the results will be identical. But the second option allows you to compress G: Entries and this would be what your college mentioned. You will have an entry per posting group. If you post many similar items in a period, then you can have a significant number less of GL Entries.
    David Singleton