License Issue

ffre2010ffre2010 Member Posts: 5
Hi There
Our environment consists of two databases that are two different versions, with two different object sets and using two separate lic files. Users will have two icons on their desktops ie only linking to their respective databases.

Permissions is a whole can of worms that I would rather not open up. Yes there will be users that have super rights. Four users (senior) and others.

The reason for all this is that a user could not run a dataport I created in the database which highlighted to me that the test database A is using licens B file. I tried to change the Lic file to the A file but it would not remain imported as it kept finding fin.flf files from god knows where despite my attempts to rename them on the server so they would be ignored.

I have renamed Lic file to fin.flf in cside on the server. I have then imported the Lic file within Navision and it appears to save however if you then try to open the the other test 2 database it pulls the other file back. Obviously it is finding the fin.flf file from the server somewhere that is a version of the B Lic file.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Main info you have not give us: Native or SQL server?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Seriously ffre, your post is almost unreadable.

Most o the most basic information (like what server as pointed out by Kamil) is either not there, or if it is, its just too complex for someone to bother trying to read it.

Try writing out the issue step by step instead of one long novella, and maybe we can understand your issue and then help you. And make sure all the facts are there, if you have secrets you don't want made public, then you can't expect help on a public forum.
    David Singleton
  • ffre2010ffre2010 Member Posts: 5
    Ok guys
    Let me simplify.

2 SQL databases (one V4 and the other V5), 2 licenses. When a user opens a database for the first time, it reads the license ok. He has access to a report 50061.

WHen connecting to the other database, the system allocates the sames license to that database and he cannot run report 50061.
    I hope that is easier to read.

F
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I don't think that has anything to do with the license. If that license gives you access to that report, it works in every database that you open with that license. Check the permissions.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I have then imported the Lic file within Navision and it appears to save however if you then try to open the the other test 2 database it pulls the other file back. Obviously it is finding the fin.flf file from the server somewhere that is a version of the B Lic file.

Using functions from within NAV client have nothing with server license. You need to check the fin.flf file in the server folder, and restart the service to be sure, that it will take the latest file.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SvendSvend Member Posts: 3
    When running SQL the sql-server used to save the license within the base. So it should be the same license you use, unless you have checked seperate license in the database setting.
    I haven't checked it on the newer versions, but I'll assume that you run the same license on both databases?
    If so, I'm with DenSter on this one. If the license has access to the report in one version, then it has it on all. Thus the problem must be with your permissions in the database.
    Thanks for all the replys, but it is 2 seperate licenses. Two companies, 2 databases, 2 licenses.

Cheers
    Frank
  • SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
    ffre2010 wrote:
    WHen connecting to the other database, the system allocates the sames license
    ffre2010 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys, but it is 2 seperate licenses. Two companies, 2 databases, 2 licenses.

Cheers
    Frank

So you're not running on 2 seperate licenses. Have you looked at the database settings?
    Datebase -> Alter -> Integration. Is there a checkmark in Save licens in database? If not, then you will be running on the same license for both databases if you run on 1 sql-server.
    When running SQL the license file will be uploaded into the database (master unless you have checked the save lic...) and you can delete the license file from the serverfolder for all you want afterwards!
    Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself
    Licenses for SQL Server are 'per server' licenses by default, and if you need them to be 'per database, you will have purchase the granule that allows you to store the license in the NAV database itself. If you don't have that granule, the license is stored in the Master database, and every NAV database on that server will use that license. In that case, you cannot have two databases with two licenses. You will then have to choose which one is stored in Master, and instruct your users to change licenses when they connect to the other database.

The "Import" button does nothing for SQL Server databases. To set the license for SQL Server, you must use the "Upload" button. Depending on whether you have the 'per server' or the 'per database' type of license, it will then be uploaded into the Master database, or the specified NAV database.
    Thanks Daniel

Do you know what module it is? I looked at the price list and could really find it.

Thanks
    I'd have to check the list myself, so if you have it there you should be able to find it there.

Or, try this: http://lmsmfy.com/?q=per+database+license (I just love that link :mrgreen: )