NAV License Question

Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
Hello,

We have previously developed an integration with the Sales & Marketing module, and are now looking to expand it into the purchasing module. One requirement is that these integrations can be sold separately, and so I need to set up a second license for the new module. Some objects will be common between the two integrations, and as we expand into other modules, other shared objects will be added.

My first thought is to have a set range of objects that are shared, and include this range in each license.
So for example, let's say our company's range of objects is 0000 - 1000.
Objects that are common between all integrations are in the range 0000-0099.
Integration A is currently using objects 0100-0199.
Integration B will use objects 0200-0299.
Integration C will use objects 0300-0399.

So when we go to create a license with Microsoft, we would have the following:
License A: 0000-0099 and 0100-0199
License B: 0000-0099 and 0200-0299
License C: 0000-0099 and 0300-0399

Is this kosher? Will Microsoft allow the same range to exist in multiple licenses? And if the user is given both licenses with overlapping ranges, will this cause any problems?

If this approach will not work for any reason, what would be the best way to share objects between separate integrations?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Try like this
    Base Module 0000-0099 - cant do anything if you don't buy this granule, sell it very cheap.
    License A - CRM Add-On : 0100-0199
    License B - Purchase Add-On: 0200-0299
    License C - what ever : 0300-0399
    David Singleton
  • Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
    Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. That was my second thought, in case the current plan doesn't work. Would the method you detailed be more onerous for the customer (having two products added to the license instead of one)? Or is there really no difference? We don't have any exposure to the sales process, and so it is difficult to tell what would be best.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The key is to make it simple to understand. I don't think it matters how many granules there are, just so as they are clearly understood.

This also give you better price control. Lets say you want to sell prod A for $1,000 but you want to give the customer a 25% discount if they buy 2 or more products ($750 each).

Sell The base model for $250 and each granule for $750.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Noisy Van wrote:
    having two products added to the license instead of one
    It wouldn't be two or more products, but two or more granules. You obviously have some shared logic in the base objects. Say your company is called "ACME NAV Rockets", you could call that base granule "ACME - Basic", and market it as the foundation of all of your products, spin it that you have encapsulated all the reusable bits into efficiently set up granules, minimizing the footprint into the standard application, and minimizing the number of objects that the customer has to purchase, I'm sure you can think of some good marketing fluf to make that sound really appetizing :mrgreen:

Don't worry, lots of ISV partners do it that way, NAV customers are quite used to purchasing multiple granules for a single product.
  • Noisy_VanNoisy_Van Member Posts: 47
    I'm not the one who has to worry about marketing, but your points are well taken. The ability to control price a little more finely is certainly something we might find useful. Thanks for your help, David and DenSter.