Options

Integration using RTC published pages

dstockilldstockill Member Posts: 3
edited 2010-03-21 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All

We are currently implementing NAV 2009 RTC version, the main reason for the choosing NAV was the strength of being able to expose web services for integration. We are currently writing bespoke .NET operational software using C# and web services. Now that we have started our integration part of the project our NAV partner is suggesting that we need to create XML ports for the integration through our messaging software.

We have asked the question about exposing pages as web services and mapping directly into those through C#, however our partner is suggesting we stay away from that method. My question to the forum is we have below 100 messages to integrate between the 2 systems and are our partners pulling the wool over our eyes in order for more development time, or are they correct in the dangers of exposing pages.

We have done some testing ourselves and seem to have no trouble with proof of concept of integrating through this method.

Thanks in Advance

David

Comments

• Options
    almarkaalmarka Member Posts: 19
    From what you wrote, I would say that the partner does not have a lot of experience in NAV 2009 and that is why trying to avoid new way of communication (having experience in doing it in the way they know).
    On another hand, a lot depends on messages that you are going to send to NAV.

How exactly they define the reason for not using webservices?
  • Options
    munib00munib00 Member Posts: 29
    Without agreeing or disagreeing with your partners recommendation. It depends on what you are trying to integrate. Can you give detail - eg Customers, Sales Orders. Are you trying to do heavy processing functions such as posting?

When it comes to xml or file integration. Most of the work is done in NAV to import and handle errors etc.
    When it comes to web services - generally the caller (your c# project) has to deal with errors. If an error occurs - how to resend, where to log it etc.

I would go with web services where possible. This is what I recommend to most of our customers. From my experience it is very stable.