Capable to promise (CTP) in production environment

William_HollandWilliam_Holland Member Posts: 15
Dear All,

We use production forecasts for our items, to replenish stock in time. Due to the very random demand caused by large projects we almost never have all the correct components in stock. There is no stock big enough to anticipate all fluctuations in our demand. Not a problem, delivery times than depend on how swift we can replenish the necessary stock.

we are desperately trying to confirm all our sales orders to customers by return. We have been using the capable to promise (CTP) functionality for some time now. It shows us the components that are the bottleneck in producing that requested item. We can then try to decrease those item's production or supply times. At least we than know which items to address rather than run a full MPS/MRP and find out the next day.

Allas, the standard CTP doesn't seem to take production forecasts into consideration, nor deal very well with subcontracted routing lines.

We have BOM's with 6 low level codes, and every component can potentially be a bottleneck (the 'exploded' BOM can contain hundreds of items, purchased or manufactured).

What we wanted to achieve
Enter a sales order
run the CTP functionality
Get a date for the expected shipment date that is doable
In case of a later date than requested: get a list of bottleneck components, sorted by the earliest bottleneck first, then the next, and so on-or similar.

We have extensively been programming all ongoing insights, but it's still causing us headaches. There are so many dependencies (we use finite loading as well)...

Rather than do a complete functional and technical design to meet with my colleagues' demand: is there any add-on that kind of does a CTP functionality (multi-level!) as described above? In a manufacturing environment? I'm not looking for every exception that one can think of, but would like to offer my colleagues some more transparancy as to what items to look at in case requested delivery times can not be met due to capacity/material limitations.

And I would rather use what's available than reprogram the MRP functionality :(

I know I can always 'wait till tomorrow' and see what the MPS/MRP comes up with but that would delay all my processes another day, require more planners (lots of requirements in the past I'm sure...) and doesn't give my back office the possibility to use navision to it's max. The key phrase being: navision DOES know what the bottleneck is, how can I easily identify it to my back office workers?

Any direction(s), links, websites or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Hi,

I don't have any solution to your problem, but I use CTP in an assembly environment and I have some serious problems with this function as well. We're on NAV 5.0SP1.

Problem 1:
    We have work centers where we assemble and one person works at one prod.order at a time som we've used concurrent capacities = 1 in the routing. When CTP does the calculation it doesn't calculate the time for one person to assemble a production order it uses all of the capacities which makes the leadtime to short. We've corrected this by customization.

Problem 2:
    Slow performance. We use finite loading and the CTP isn't optimized to calculate the load regarding to finite loading. One order could take up to 10 minutes to calculate and the orders isn't that complex with lot of routings and BOM's. We've rewritten this code so now the performance is ok.

Problem 3:
    When looking at availability on the purchase items NAV use the field Check avail. period calc" under company info. We've rewritten this so instead it looks at the field "Lead time calculation" on each item.

Problem 4:
    Startig date too late on some purchase items. It suggest that we should buy a week from now when we actually could buy the item today. This is still unsolved.

This function is unfortunately not what you would excpect from a CTP and hopefully it will be changed in the future to support the common demands.
    I don't know if you experienced the same problem as I especially no. 4. If you have solved this then you might could point me in the right direction.