Excel buff Want to export numbers as numbers in Excel

SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
I want to have the numbers I export to Excel using the Excel buffer table to be numbers
when I open Excel.
I currently get "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe"
Then there is a process I can choose: 'Convert to Number'
I want it to convert to number automatically so my users or I don't have to mess with it manually.

How can I get my exported numbers to be numbers?

Thanks
Steve

Answers

• DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Steve,

How are using the Excel Buffer table?

Set the NumberFormat or set the last agrument on the AddColumn function as per formating a cell in Excel
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your response

I am using on the OnPreSection of a report

EnterCell(RowNo,10,FORMAT("Outstanding Amount"),FALSE,FALSE,'@'); // for numbers

EnterCell(RowNo,3,"Vendor Item No.",FALSE,FALSE,''); // for text
    EnterCell(RowNo : Integer;ColumnNo : Integer;CellValue : Text[250];Bold : Boolean;UnderLine : Boolean;NumberFormat : Text[30])

ExcelBuf.INIT;
    ExcelBuf.VALIDATE("Row No.",RowNo);
    ExcelBuf.VALIDATE("Column No.",ColumnNo);
    ExcelBuf."Cell Value as Text" := CellValue;
    ExcelBuf.Formula := '';
    ExcelBuf.Bold := Bold;
    ExcelBuf.Underline := UnderLine;
    ExcelBuf.NumberFormat := NumberFormat;
    ExcelBuf.INSERT;

This all works fine except:
    This gives me the "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe" message in Excel

Thanks
    Steve
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Steve,
    EnterCell(RowNo,10,FORMAT("Outstanding Amount"),FALSE,FALSE,'@'); // for numbers
    The @ sign tells Excel to format the cell as text - try a number format e.g. '0.00' for two decimal places. To see further examples - go to Excel and in Format Cells - look at the examples in the custom option.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    One tip that I found useful is when you want to accomplish something in Excel in C/AL code, is to turn on the macro recorder in Excel. Then do what you want to do, and look at the VBA that the macro recorder generated. Usually that translates almost directly into C/AL. I know formatting works that way, I've done something with that in the past.
  • SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
    Thanks to both of you. That will do it.
    Steve