Emailing from NAV 2009

RITRIT Member Posts: 2
We currently have a requirement to email from Navision for various documents.

We would like them to be emailed automatically depending on flags set on customers by document.

I appreciate that this will require some development in NAV, but is there any external app that will 'help make this easy' ? We don't want to spend the thousands that most resellers seem to want for this.

I'm a .NET developer, not a NAV one, and in .NET sending an email is pretty simple.... is it really so complicated to send one from NAV that it takes days of development time or a $3000 solution ?

I'm assuming that LOTS of NAV users have this requirement, what do other people do ?

Thanks for any advice / help

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    RIT wrote:
    I'm a .NET developer, not a NAV one, and in .NET sending an email is pretty simple.... is it really so complicated to send one from NAV that it takes days of development time or a $3000 solution ?

I'm assuming that LOTS of NAV users have this requirement, what do other people do ?

Either get your partner to develop a custom solution for you, or buy an add-on that does this. I doubt you could develop it internally for under $3,000, but I don;t know your company. If you work on the basis that "our developers are here and we pay them anyway", then it ay make sense even i it costs more to do it your selves, but I think if there is a solution that works and does what you need, and costs $3,000 then go or it.

In terms of "easy in .NET", that's relative. Since to create the email, first you need to go out and write an ERP system, which might take you 5 years. Or as Carl Sagen would say "To make an apple pie from scratch, you first need to create a new universe". :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
    By the way, you said form 2009, but posted in the Navision classic forum, so I assume you meant sending from the classic report writer. Of course in 2009 RTC using SSRS it should be much easier.
    David Singleton
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    NAV 2009 RTC does not use SSRS.

But, you can save reports as PDF out of the box and send them using the SMTP mail codeunit (400).

Oh, I thought you could output them through SSRS. I haven't tried, but I thought it was possible.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Even low balling what I've seen billed lately, $3000 / $150 per hour is only 20 hours of work.

That's to develop a new table with the proper fields, store email templates, possibly attach PDF copies of your documents, setup a NAS or forever running session to send the emails, and most importantly do testing. I don't think $3000 is too bad personally :D
  • Denis_PetrovDenis_Petrov Member Posts: 107

But, you can save reports as PDF out of the box and send them using the SMTP mail codeunit (400).

Mark

would you please share a code /exact steps on how to implement this?

Thank you
    Best regards,

Denis Petrov.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    matttrax wrote:
    Even low balling what I've seen billed lately, $3000 / $150 per hour is only 20 hours of work. :D

Is this rate realistic or I am reading it wrong? But surely it gives heartburn after considering the rates applicable in our location.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    ssingla wrote:
    matttrax wrote:
    Even low balling what I've seen billed lately, $3000 / $150 per hour is only 20 hours of work. :D

Is this rate realistic or I am reading it wrong? But surely it gives heartburn after considering the rates applicable in our location.

Hi Sandeep,

Don't think of the rate per hour, think of the total cost of the job.

You can read my blog about this:
    If it takes one person 10 days to dig a ditch, how long does it take 10 people to dig the same ditch?
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    You can read my blog about this:
    If it takes one person 10 days to dig a ditch, how long does it take 10 people to dig the same ditch?

I never misses your blog and have read it already. The price for the functionality asked is more than the price few customers (in our country) are ready to pay for a standard NAV implementation of Finance, Purchase, Sales and Inventory module. I know all projects are not the same but still the quoted per hour rate is equal to 50-60% of standard monthly rate prevalent here.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in