Moving multiple fdb files to another drive and path

JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
Hi All,

I'm having an issue loading a (multiple file) backup hotcopy of our database (native 3.7) that is now saved on a different server. When loading fdbfile1 it errors stating that it can't find:

E:\Database\fdbfile2.fdb

Which is correct as the file doesn't exist in this location. Now in the past I've simply created this drive/path and placed the fdb files within it. However on this occasion this isn't possible.

So is there anyway of getting the first fdb file to look in another location for the second file.

I know these paths are stored in the Database File table, but not sure if and how these could be changed.

Maybe I've missed something simple?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    when you start the nav server, in the database= parameter you need to include all the databases

Database=f:\database1.fdb,f:\dabbase2.fdb,f:\database3.fdb

This will let the server know the new location of the other database files.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    when you start the nav server, in the database= parameter you need to include all the databases

Database=f:\database1.fdb,f:\dabbase2.fdb,f:\database3.fdb

This will let the server know the new location of the other database files.

unless its changed, I think it's + not , so

Database=f:\database1.fdb+f:\database2.fdb+f:\database3.fdb
    David Singleton
    If you have the client installed on the server or if you are doing this on your local computer, you can also enter the Database=f:\database1.fdb+f:\database2.fdb+f:\database3.fdb parameter into a short cut to fin.exe and run it that way. FYI the location of the second database is stored in the first db, and the location of the third in the second etc. So once you do this even locally it will be remembered.
    David Singleton
  • JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
    Worked perfectly, thank you both for your help.

=D>
    JamieBrown wrote:
    Worked perfectly, thank you both for your help.

=D>

Was it " , " or " + " ?

Also there is a flag to indicate that an issue has been resolved/solved. finally we don't have to have those extremely annoying and hatted by everyone* [SOLVED] in the title anymore.

*PS I assume its not just me that hates this with a vengeance. :x
    David Singleton
  • JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
    Ah I didn't realise.. have changed now (you're right, much better)..

I didn't actually try "," but "+" worked.

Thanks
  • AlterantAlterant Member Posts: 19
    If you have the client installed on the server or if you are doing this on your local computer, you can also enter the Database=f:\database1.fdb+f:\database2.fdb+f:\database3.fdb parameter into a short cut to fin.exe and run it that way.
    Furthermore when you are working locally you can specify multiple files in the "Open Database" dialog window directly (instead of usung shortcut).
    Like this:

On the screenshot the "Database Name" = "\\tsclient\M\DB\File1.fdb+\\tsclient\M\DB\File2.fdb".