Options

code compatibility check tool for RTC client

vaxo_jjvaxo_jj Member Posts: 54
edited 2010-03-02 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I'm upgradeing nav 5.1 to 2009 RTC. For Reports, Forms and MenuSuite it's clear - they should be converted/redesigned for RTC. But what about Tables and Codeunits; Is there anything that should be done for them? actually there can be a code incompatibility (exp. running forms with the code). So do you know any tool for checking this (in-)compatibility? or is there somewhere a list of such incompatible code?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    When you compile the code, check the "Tool-Error List" for more errors. Of course, something will not work as it worked on Classic client, you need to test the automations, file processing (read/write) etc. All changes are documented on the Microsoft Dynamics NAV MSDN pages.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    vaxo_jj wrote:
    Hello,

I'm upgradeing nav 5.1 to 2009 RTC. For Reports, Forms and MenuSuite it's clear - they should be converted/redesigned for RTC. But what about Tables and Codeunits; Is there anything that should be done for them? actually there can be a code incompatibility (exp. running forms with the code). So do you know any tool for checking this (in-)compatibility? or is there somewhere a list of such incompatible code?

I would generally not want to use a specific Form designation in a codeunit or table, (rather use Form.RUN(0,...) but of course that is not always possible. Even in the base app there are cases where this happens.

And even as Kamil says, there will be warnings during the process, one of the most important steps of ANY upgrade is user testing. You need to have the users heavily run through all the tasks they do to make sure these errors are found in the testing stages.
    David Singleton