Revaluation of unit cost

ganapap1ganapap1 Member Posts: 9
Hi Experts
we are using Navision NAV 5. using average costing system. having one warehouse and 60 sites (sub-warehouse) as bins. we have gone live on 1st Jan 10. inventory as on 1st Jan 10, at warehouse was at cost. but inventory from 60 sites were at fixed price. Since we are using Bin system, my consultant told me that the average will be avarage cost of all. now my warehouse inventory and average issue cost is getting influenced by site inventory unit cost loaded at the beginning.

now Feb 10 being the second month i would like to rectify. for your information we have provision in accounts for the difference between fixed price and cost price. hence even if i revalue and reduce the cost, there will not be any financial impact. i will reverse the provision as well

how do we post consumption?
in warehouse, normal inventory system, all in and outs are recorded. but as for as 60 sites (sites are at remote places in Sahara Desert, no access to Navision), my data center at head office prepare goods receipt note in the system on behalf of all sites.

as a result, all 60 bins have opening inventory of 1st Jan and all issues made in jan and Feb from Warehouse as transfer journal and direct supplies in Jan & Feb (order placed on their behalf by warehouse).

rearding 60 bins, i have consumtion for Jan and i will have for Feb in the next one week, by item which is the comparision of invnentory in Navision less inventory statement received from Site.

What i would like to have
a. to adjust unit cost for each item (i have done the complete calculation in Excel by extracting the data from Navision and following the same method of calculaiton of average cost
b. this i would like to do as of 31st Jan and 28th Feb. or should i do it only in Feb

Can any of the Experts help us to resolve this issue
:P
Thanks & Best Regards

Ganapathy

Comments

• bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    Just an idea (I didn't read your whole posting, because at the end of the day I'm tired :( )
    But, normally you do revaluations with the Revaluation Journal. So, try some scenarios there, you may find a solution.

Basically, you use the Revaluation in two ways:
    1. "Mass Automatic Revaluation" Mode - using the built-in batch job
    2. "Manual Value Adjustments" Mode - revaluing specific Item Ledger entries.

My guess is that Mode 2 will work in your case.

Good luck!
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.
  • ganapap1ganapap1 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you very much. I will discuss with my consultant as well. we need to finish this exercise in the next two days. your suggession is of great value to us

Thanks once again
    Ganapathy
    since our data is just a month old and since we did not post consumption in the first month. we deleted all opening entires of site inventory and reloaded it with correct cost. everything came allright

thanks
    Ganapathy
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ganapap1 wrote:
    since our data is just a month old and since we did not post consumption in the first month. we deleted all opening entires of site inventory and reloaded it with correct cost. everything came allright

thanks
    Ganapathy

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

Ganapathy, you have really made a huge mistake here. Your consultants if they are any good at all should never have suggested or allowed this. Unless they really know Navision costing in great depth (and since you had ot ask extremely basic questions here, I doubt they are experts) then this could have long term disastrous ramifications.

Deleting entries in Navision should never be done. In the case it needs to be done, you want experts that really know what they are doing.

Right now things may seem "fixed", but this will come back and bite you in the future.
    David Singleton
    No entries, no problem :D =D> :lol:

If your database is just one-month old then it wouldn't be such a bad idea if you restore it and reenter the data correctly.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    Dont play with Ledger entries , especially with Item Ledger entries. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    ganapap1 wrote:

thanks
    Ganapathy

Deleting a posted transaction is one of the worst thing you can do in NAV. Can you simply brief which table you deleted the data from?
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    edited 2010-03-08
    Sorry I misunderstood...
    David Singleton
    David :) ,
    Please, not take my words out of the context and do not try to convince me that you are a man with no sense of humor. I just wanted to cheer up the atmosphere by paraphrasing a popular saying of the Russian dictator Stalin, who used to say "Nyet cheloveka, nyet problyema" which roughly means "Eliminate the man and the problem will dissappear".

Sometimes we should speak of serious things in a humourous way. Thus we have a better chance to be heard.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    bstoyano wrote:
    David :) ,
    Please, not take my words out of the context and do not try to convince me that you are a man with no sense of humor. I just wanted to cheer up the atmosphere by paraphrasing a popular saying of the Russian dictator Stalin, who used to say "Nyet cheloveka, nyet problyema" which roughly means "Eliminate the man and the problem will dissappear".

Sometimes we should speak of serious things in a humourous way. Thus we have a better chance to be heard.

OK, I see, but next time use a different smiley. maybe :whistle: ](*,) [-X :-# =; etc. But never ... =D>
    David Singleton
    Ok. I'll have this in mind
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    In context of the Stalin quote its quite funny.
    David Singleton
    Thank you very much to all of you for the great support

Ganapathy