User License

crugcrug Member Posts: 2
edited 2010-02-23 in Navision Financials
I have been asked by a friend who has a business to help him with his Navision Financials System.
I know nothing of the software but I have said I will make some enquiries on his behalf.
He has been running Navision Version 2.01.B with a 3 user license for the past 10 years.
The partner that the software was purchased from went out of business approx 7 years ago.
There has been no need for any support and therefore no monies have been paid since.
There is now a requirement to upgrade to a 6 user license without upgrading to a newer version.
If he was to approach a partner to purchase 3 more user licenses', would there be a case and is it likely that the partner would have to charge for the past 7 years worth of license fees (not paid for). Or would the partner take the client on with a clean slate?

Comments

• DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi,

You can currently just purchase additional licenses without going back onto assurance (there is not an annual license fee).

If you want to go back on assurance then there is good news for you. Normally there is a penality to getting assurance up to date (and pay the back dated fee). Microsoft is running a promotion where the backdates fee are waivered and just paid going forward. The downside is that after May, customers not on assurance will not be able to add anything to their licence without going back on assurance.

Hope this helps
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    crug wrote:
    I have been asked by a friend who has a business to help him with his Navision Financials System.
    I know nothing of the software but I have said I will make some enquiries on his behalf.
    He has been running Navision Version 2.01.B with a 3 user license for the past 10 years.
    The partner that the software was purchased from went out of business approx 7 years ago.
    There has been no need for any support and therefore no monies have been paid since.
    There is now a requirement to upgrade to a 6 user license without upgrading to a newer version.
    If he was to approach a partner to purchase 3 more user licenses', would there be a case and is it likely that the partner would have to charge for the past 7 years worth of license fees (not paid for). Or would the partner take the client on with a clean slate?

Well they definitely picked the right time to ask.

Microsoft are going to stop selling licenses to unsupported customers, but it seems there is a cut off till the 30th o June 2010.

I suggest they contact a Navision partner ASAP and get the exact details. But its most likely that right now they can buy those licenses without paying the back maintenance.

Also be aware that the back maintenance would cost more than a new license, so if they can't buy the user licenses, its cheaper to start again.
    David Singleton
    DaveT wrote:
    ...Microsoft is running a promotion where the backdates fee are waivered and just paid going forward. ...

WOW that sound like a bargain. Do you know if this is global or just for Ireland? Do you have a link?
    David Singleton
    Crug, if DaveT's information is valid for you, then this is a much better option in which case ignore my post.
    David Singleton
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi David.

Don't have a link to hand but here's the text:
    Even the best business decisions can be hard to make so we’re
    making it easier than ever for you to decide. But you must act now!
    Re-enroll in your Business Ready Enhancement Plan today and have the ability
    to expand your solution in the future. Re-enroll by May 31, 2010 and save!
    We will waive 100% of your back pay and
    no late/penalty fees will be charged*.
    Or, if you are on a supported version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV**, purchase the
    additional licenses of Microsoft Dynamics NAV you need by May 31, 2010. After
    that date, you will no longer be able to purchase licenses of Microsoft Dynamics
    NAV if you’re not enrolled in the Business Ready Enhancement Plan.
    By reactivating your Enhancement Plan, you maximize the value of
    your solution, protect your investment and increase productivity.
    Your Microsoft Dynamics solution is important to the success of your business–
    help keep it running smoothly and performing efficiently by enrolling in an
    Enhancement Plan. This provides access to breakthrough innovations to help
    you improve and expand your solution functionality, increasing your
    organization’s competitive speed, performance, and productivity.
    Reactivating your Enhancement Plan helps increase your confidence. You are
    protecting your Microsoft Dynamics investment by keeping your solution up to
    date with access to updates to help you comply with legal and regulatory
    requirements. This helps keep your solution running securely and uninterrupted.
    Your organization can also regain unlimited access to online training material and
    technical information, right at your fingertips through Customer Source. This can
    help improve your team’s performance, increasing your return on investment. It
    also provides you with comprehensive online support and services to mitigate
    potential issues.

* This offer is good outside the United States and Canada only. This offer is non-transferable
    and cannot be combined with any other offer. 100% of your back pay on the Business Ready
    Enhancement Plan will be waived and no late and/or penalty fees will be charged. Your
    Business Ready Enhancement Plan will be calculated from your current system list price. A
    one-year enrollment commitment to Business Ready Enhancement Plan is required.
    ** Supported versions of Microsoft Dynamics NAV include:
    · Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0
    · Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009

As you can see the offer is good outside the US & Canada.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Nope. Since the user is running on an unsupported version of Navision, he won't be able to obtain user licenses. This policy was effective on November 2009.

On another hand, we had a client that was using version 2.0 for a long time. We had asked Microsoft about the client and they didn't have the client on record!!! In the end, the client got to pick when they'd like to go on the enhancement without having to pay previous years and penalty.

I don't know if this can be applied to you specifically or we just got lucky.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Alex Chow wrote:
    and they didn't have the client on record!!!.

Wow, that's about as bad as it gets...would have been even funnier if they had been paying support and weren't on record...well maybe not funny from their end :lol:
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    What the Microsoft rep told me was that since the client wasn't on the enhancement plan with Navision before the buyout, the customer data didn't get transferred over.

I wouldn't be surprised if other partners had customers in the same situation.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Nope. Since the user is running on an unsupported version of Navision, he won't be able to obtain user licenses. This policy was effective on November 2009.

This is true only for US&Canada. In Europe, it is for unsupported version since 1st. March 2010...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.