connect to Role Tailored Client

NNavNNav Member Posts: 12
edited 2010-03-02 in NAV Three Tier
Nav 2009 SP1:

Hi

I have a sql server (SQL 2008 on W2k8 R2), where a nav-db was successfully imported by the classic nav 2009 client with sql server.
This client is on a second machine with Windows 7. That means that I CAN connect to the dedicated sql server with the classic interface.

After I was editing default CustomSettings.config settings and opening port 7046 on sql server too, I tried to connect with the role tailored client with 'ServerName:7046/DynamicsNav. I left the default entry <add key="ServerInstance" value="DynamicsNAV"></add> in CustomSettings.config, but changing ServerName and DatabaseName. Since I have no named sql instance the file contains this: <add key="DatabaseInstance" value=""></add>

I get the error:
A server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNav/Service]tcp://servername:7046/DynamicsNav/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incurrect or the server is currently not available.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
NavGuy

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I had this same error and a post from Rashed helped me solve it. Use search and use his ID ara3n to find it.
    David Singleton
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    I couldn't find anything posted by ara3n in reference to this exact error. I searched 'server was not found ara3n' and several variances of that and still couldn't find it. Do you have a link to the thread?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    AlexWiley wrote:
    I couldn't find anything posted by ara3n in reference to this exact error. I searched 'server was not found ara3n' and several variances of that and still couldn't find it. Do you have a link to the thread?

This one

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=39220&start=0
    David Singleton
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    That looks more familiar :D

I'm still at a loss, I get the
    "A server was not found at net.[url=tcp://devnav0:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://devnav0:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]"

But when I'm on the DevNav0 box and look at Event Properties for the MicrosoftDynamicsNAVServer service, it says:
    "Service:
    Service MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer is listening to requests at net.[url=tcp://devnav0:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://devnav0:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url].

Firewall is disabled on the box.
    SQL Server is on our LAN so no firewall permissions need to be changed on the SQL Server.

Customsettings.config is
    <add key="NetType" value="Default"></add>
    <add key="DatabaseServer" value="DEVSQL0">
    <add key="DatabaseInstance" value="">
    <add key="DatabaseName" value="2009TEST">
    <add key="ServerPort" value="7046">

ClientUserSettings.config is
    <add key="Server" value="ServerName" />
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="InstanceName" />
    <add key="ServerPort" value="7046"/>
    <add key="ProtectionLevel" value="EncryptAndSign"/>

When I try to change clientusersettings.config and save it, I reopen it and it reverts everything back to the information above. The information in the manuals is absolutely no help for trying to troubleshoot this portion.