Options

Dynamics NAV 6 in Azure Cloud?

dayscottdayscott Member Posts: 42
edited 2010-02-22 in NAV Three Tier
Since MS Azure is now launched I got a crazy idea:
http://uploadz.eu/images/h95fh46ax994xfab35r2.png

How about Navision running on Azure Cloud? If the Interface is ODBC that might be possible with NAV 6, what do you guys think?

At least that might be Microsofts long term plan: http://inecta.com/blog/index.php/erp/mi ... ure-cloud/

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is not about running NAV on the Cloud, but rather using some services from the cloud within NAV like credit card payment services... which will be available for NAV for customers paying the maintenance...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    thanks for the quick response.

Two Questions:
    1. Why isn't it about running NAV in the cloud?

2. How is NAV und Azure going to be connected? (Through which kind of interface)
  • Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    I hope they build redundant fail proof system, when millions of people / businesses will depend on CC authorization.

As for running NAV itself on Cloud, there is not enough bandwidth, unless you are using RDP/citrix.

In that case it becomes a hosted solution and not service oriented, which what the cloud is.
  • Options
    dayscott wrote:
    thanks for the quick response.

Two Questions:
    1. Why isn't it about running NAV in the cloud?

2. How is NAV und Azure going to be connected? (Through which kind of interface)

1) I assume through consuming webservices of the cloud
    2) As generic described, bandwidth (can you imagine to print hundred page report from the cloud?), and may be the legal problem, when the database with financial data must be "under control" of the company etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I am a rookie, maybe thats why i can't really imagine what the problem with bandwith is. Since the RTC has no business logic running we could substitute the connection between the RTC and the service level through the internet:
    u2126j2xy1lg0c3y9lq7.png
    How is the Service Level and the RTC communicating, through some proprietary protocoll? If it is XML (or something of that kind) that could work, couldn't it?
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    The network demand is still high 10/100 meg/s
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    hmm, can you think of any other senseful option to use Azure's cloud possibilities in combination with NAV? :?

I am a student holding a seminar on the topic: "Platform-as-a-Service: Microsoft Windows Azure: Transaction Processing and Availability" and since I am part-time working in a NAV company, I discussed with my supervising tutor to combine this topic with Navision. He agreed and we are currently searching for a "subtopic" to study on.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    I have on my todo list to investigate Azure services and NAV - what can we do and how.
    If you are up to it, we could have a conf call and discuss ideas and possibilities?
    Let me know if this is an option and I will set something up and send an invite.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    It could be interesting for more people... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    kine wrote:
    It could be interesting for more people... :-)
    Definitely!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    freddy.dk wrote:
    I have on my todo list to investigate Azure services and NAV - what can we do and how.
    If you are up to it, we could have a conf call and discuss ideas and possibilities?
    Let me know if this is an option and I will set something up and send an invite.
    It would be an honor :)
    I am studying at Technical University of Munich and I have around 4 weeks to investigate this topic. I am opened to all kinds of ideas to make my work good & useful.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Why don't we do like this - the people who wants to participate in a livemeeting about this topic can send me a mail on mibuso (or some people already know my real e-mail address, use that) with their real e-mail address and their timezone and I will invite them to a livemeeting - where the majority of people have day-time.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    great.
    i sent you my information through pm.