Use of Classic Reports with Request Pages

Stuart_GlassonStuart_Glasson Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 9
Hello Mibuso members!

I'm on the NAV Development team in Denmark and would ask you kindly to share any opinions you have about advanced use of Request Forms in classic reports. Note I'm not asking about new RDL reports and request pages, only about request forms.

Specifically, I'd like to know what you might use the request form for, other than looking up filter data from other tables.

For example, you can put code in the lookup trigger and assist edit in fields in the options tab in the request form. You can pretty much do whatever you like - you can call Forms, you can run custom code, you can open file handling dialogs, you can do lots of things.

But what _do_ you do there? And whats clever about doing it the way do you do it?

If you wonder why we ask - we're looking at what is going to happen to the 'classic reporting' feature for RTC clients for future versions of NAV. I'd just like to hear your scenarios to make sure we don't forget something important.

I'm all ears ...

Thanks!
Stuart

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,499
    [Topic moved from "NAV 2009" to "NAV/Navision" forum]
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In most cases:

1) Entering parameters for the report (filters, values, entered manually or by lookups, selecting file names, options, radio buttons and checkboxes) - all this could be linked between each other (something is enabled when you select something etc.)
    2) Subform with table, where you can enter data, which have effect to the report (editing setup table before you start the report)
    3) Using the request form instead classic form - mainly used by customers, having only report designer - they can't access code under form, only under report, thus using request form allows them to create "form" with code behind... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Everything what Kamil explained and...

Entering Parameters of some kind (see in Kamils post). Lookup of values from other companies, grouping fields with frames or shapes, Selecting filenames and reading files via code., Use of property SourceTable to display a "setup table" (temporary or real) in a Frame, TabControl or TableBox or use of a subform control to do the same.

As Kamil explained (using the request form instead of a normal form) - with every funcionality a normal form could have including use of Menu and Command Buttons, Tab Controls, Subforms, Frames, Tableboxes.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Non NAV Data for statutory reporting purpose like Auth. Person (can be different from the logged in user), Location, Assessment Year (Different from Fiscal Year) etc.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in