How do others deal with Progressive Payments in Navision

bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
Navision Experts, hello. We are using Nav 4.0 SP3.

I am looking for recommendations on processing progressive payments within Navision. We hire many subcontractors for any given project. We set these subcontractors up as vendors and create purchase orders. We will have a contract for say $100k, and we are expected to pay various portions of this at different times as the project progresses. We handle this now by setingt up a PO against a GL account and we reverse the quantity and dollar amount. Using the 100k example, the PO line would be a quantity of 100,000 at unit cost of $1.00. Then if we are invoiced for $5k, we receive 5000 units at $1.00.

Functionaly this works okay, but it causes reporting issues down the line. I am curious if anybody knows of another way to manage this in Navision, or if perhaps if Nav 2009 addresses it.

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Best is to create multiple vendor/customer entries with different due dates.
    David Singleton
  • dimusdimus Member Posts: 24
    How about using Job module in NAV?
    dimus wrote:
    How about using Job module in NAV?

:thumbsup: Yes I should have read the post in more detail, Jobs looks like a better solution than what I was suggesting in this case.
    David Singleton
  • bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by job module? What function exactly? My response may seem stupid, but let me explain. I have been working with Navision since 2006. From the start, we have been using an add on to Navision, specifically for the Job module, called Tectura Project. I have no experience with out of the box Navision as far as the Job Module goes. So, unless we restore a Cronus version of the DB with no add ons, I've no way to see what the original jobs module looks like.

We use Tectura Project to essentially manage a construction project. I would describe it here if I could, but I am not even sure where to start considering I do not know where it digresses from the standard jobs module.
    bspencer wrote:
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by job module? What function exactly? My response may seem stupid, but let me explain. I have been working with Navision since 2006. From the start, we have been using an add on to Navision, specifically for the Job module, called Tectura Project. I have no experience with out of the box Navision as far as the Job Module goes. So, unless we restore a Cronus version of the DB with no add ons, I've no way to see what the original jobs module looks like.

We use Tectura Project to essentially manage a construction project. I would describe it here if I could, but I am not even sure where to start considering I do not know where it digresses from the standard jobs module.

In that case, contact Tectura. They will have the experience with this module to know the best solution.
    David Singleton
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Tectura Project is build on top of Job so, as David mentioned, please call us :)
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
    ara3n, hello. No offense, but we have not had a lot of success with Tectura when it comes to getting answers regarding Tectura Project. Generally reps in the states have to contact the folks in Germany who created the add on, and the documentation we have on Tectura Project is limited.

So, if you know somebody at Tectura, in the USA, who knows how to use Tectura Project, please email me and I will gladly contact them.