ramifications for adding inventory in at .01

bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
Navision Professionals, hello. We are running 4.0 SP3 and FIFO on inventory.

I am seeking business analysis advice regarding the ramifications of adjusting inventory in at a unit cost of .01. Here is our current situation:

1) Inventory was sold to a customer and paid for on a large construction project.
2) Some inventory was left over and was given back to my firm at no charge.
3) We are free to resell it.
4) We will use inventory adjustments to put these items into inventory, but only for items with no current inventory.

If this was your situation, what would you do (legally)?

I am trying to make sure I have considered all of the ramifications for doing this.
1) Profit margin will obviously be greater for these items when we sell them.
2) Unit cost on the item card will be skewed.
3) Last Direct Cost on the Item Card will be .01.
4) Direct Unit Cost Excl Tax and Unit Cost will pull over at .01 on the PO (not sure if this is standard NAV or one of our modifications).
5) If Last Direct Cost on the Item Card is over written with the previous Last Direct Cost, the Sales Order will pull in the correct Last Direct Cost.

Somebody recommended we modify the Inventory Adjustment process whereby Last Direct Cost on the item card does not get updated by an inventory adjustment. This seems like a reasonable idea, but there is a lot about Navision I do not know, so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bspencer wrote:
    2) Some inventory was left over and was given back to my firm at no charge.

You got the items for free. So post them in a $0.00 I can't see why you would post them at 1 penny?
    David Singleton
  • bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
    David, could it be that simple? We asked accounting why the .01, they really did not have a good reason for it. So, I tested inventory adjustments at $0, and Last Direct Cost on the Item Card was left as is. I guess I assumed it would update to $0.

That appears to solve that problem, I thank you.

If anyone can think of anything else we should be considering in this situation, I would appreciate any input.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bspencer wrote:
    David, could it be that simple? We asked accounting why the .01, they really did not have a good reason for it. So, I tested inventory adjustments at $0, and Last Direct Cost on the Item Card was left as is. I guess I assumed it would update to $0.

That appears to solve that problem, I thank you.

If anyone can think of anything else we should be considering in this situation, I would appreciate any input.

:thumbsup:

Hope it helps.
    David Singleton