Changing the server and database for RTC.

DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
edited 2010-02-16 in NAV Three Tier
Dear All,

I have tried to read and do much as explained in different threads for accessing a different server through RTC, but I am unable to run it.

The scenario is:

I installed NAV 2009 and RTC. The RTC was running fine.
Then I deleted the database from SQL management studio, and created a new database.

Please help me understand where to change the configuration without uninstalling RTC again.
Regards,

Deep
India

Comments

• kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
    You will have to update the service config file to point to the new database.

You can do this by opening the service config file -
    %programfiles%\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Service\CustomSettings.config

Update the "DatabaseServer" & "DatabaseName" keys to point to the relevant database server and the database respectively.

You'll have to restart the service called "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server" from the services console (Run > services.msc).

Make sure your Windows user has enough permissions to access the database through RTC.
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
  • nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
    HI,

I too faced the same problem. I have installed demo db on the server. I installed the RTC on other machine.

this is working fine. Now, on the same server I installed another database. Then I update the customesetting.config file with Database server remains same and Database name changed.

I restarted the service also. But still My RTC opens the demo database. It is not opening the New database.

why? Anything to be done at RTC end?

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    Did you checked to which service the RTC is connecting to? Probably some one which is pointed to the demo database, not the one you've configured.
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
    Hi,

I have already modified the customsetting.config file where I have mentioned

Databasename as "NewDb2009"

ServerInstance as "DynamicsNav".

If Demo database is not mentioned in config file then how RTC is connecting to demo database.

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Hi Kirtangor,

I tried your solution but unfortunately it didn't worked for me. The system still points to previous database name.

Any suggestion can be of great help.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    Look to which service the RTC is connected to. Look at the screenshot.
    scr.jpg 38.7K
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
    Deep & nav_126,

I guess the problem that you two are facing may be due to the following reason -

You created a new database, most probably, from the MDF file provided with the NAV installation. The MDF file provided with the installation is the demo database. It contains one company called "Cronus International Ltd." So, whenever you create a new database using the MDF file provided with the installation, you'll always get the "Cronus International Ltd." company i.e. the demo company.

Remember, RTC will show you the name of the "Company" to which you have connected to, and not the database name, in the location bar. So, when you connect to RTC with the new database, it won't show you which database exactly is being used. But, it will show you the name of the company, which will be "Cronus International Ltd." The confusion lies in the company name.

You can try doing this little excercise -

Create 2 new databases using the MDF provided with the installation. Open these two databases in the classic client, and rename the respective companies to "Cronus 1" and "Cronus 2".

Now, update the RTC service config file, one by one, with the above database names, open RTC and verify the company name.
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
    Hi Kirtan,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I solve the problem using multiple service tier concept. I created 2nd service tier and accordingly changed the config file for the 2nd database.

Now, I can run 2 different services on a same port with 2 different databases. Net tcp service is shared.

Regards
    Navision Developer