Hi-I am new and want to source information from everybody!

rocker001rocker001 Member Posts: 3
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site! I am out of a job and need one badly.
I was referred to a company in my country thinking they used vb 2005 and sql server but alas they use Navision which I don’t know jack about.

What I need from my peers on this forum is links on learning Dynamics Nav 2009 and the version of Navision before that and links to great books for knowledge from beginner to expert level!

Also I want to learn C/AL and C/SIDE from beginner to expert level for use with Dynamics Nav 2009 and the version before that.

Kindly let me have the links to buy (no download) trial versions of Dynamics Nav 2009 and the version before that and also to buy a trial version of C/SIDE!

Lastly I want to know which Database Management Systems Navision and Dynamics Nav use and how to learn the language of the Database Management System!

Also what really does a DBMS has to with Navision and Dynamics Nav!

Someone please help me with complete answers for all my questions: my job hunt depends on these questions and the links!

Peter

Comments

• hardik_shahhardik_shah Member Posts: 219
    Nowwww U R at Right Place =D> .....Good Luck :D
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Oh dear, where should I start.

If you mis-represented yourself and said that you know NAV when you don't, you're going to be found out very quickly.
    If you were hired on as a junior developer you should have a senior person there that you can talk to.

NAV is not something you pick up in a weekend, a week, or a month. It will take years before you become an expert with the system.

Most NAV documentation is available on the Partnersource site. You'll need to get your company to associate a Windows Live ID to it for you to get access. Otherwise you'll be paying lots of money for book that are good, but do not offer the complete story.
    Also what really does a DBMS has to with Navision and Dynamics Nav!

This is a joke, right? Do you know what NAV is? No offense, but you don't think a system that manages the financials (and everything else) needs a database to store that information in?

I'm not even going to answer the other questions. Follow the advice from the first part. Talk to a senior person in your company if you can. If you can't and you did really misrepresent yourself, I would start looking for another job. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, although I probably do. Just trying to be honest.
  • rocker001rocker001 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am not working there-I want to get a job there; I am not a fool: I know that Navision needs a Database and bet it with me I'll get that job!

Thanks

Peter Emmanuel
    MCP ID: 3107336
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Wasn't trying to imply you were stupid or anything. My apologies if I did.

You should make sure, though, that the company is hiring for a JUNIOR developer. A senior VB / SQL Developer doesn't have a whole lot in common with a Senior NAV developer. You'll be able to pick up the programming language without any problems, but that's not even 5% of what you need to know. It's all about understanding how the application works. From there you'll be able to write good code.

You can read this blog post I did a while back on where to get started: http://www.traxidyn.com/blogs/matttraxinger/where-begin

I'm just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into. It absolutely sucks not having a job. But if the company is hiring anything but an junior person to do NAV development your time is probably better served looking elsewhere. I don't mean to discourage you, or anyone else, from learning NAV.

Why not be up front with the company you're looking to work for? It's obvious you're willing to learn. They could start you out at lower pay until you get the knowledge you need.

Best of luck in your job hunt and learning.