scrap consumption not only output

buchhotbuchhot Member Posts: 116
Hi NAV gurus!

We are manufacturer of biometric fingerprint systems and are using NAV 5.0 manufacturing.
Everything works OK but now we want to use the scrap functionality.
At first I thought this will gonna be easy as this is a standard feature but when I came to testing it wasn't what I expected.

To explain the situation:
We want to produce a fingerscanner and therefore for example we need a sensor, a curcuit board, cables and some plastic cases.
When we plan a production order for 10 pieces we always produce 10 pieces and there will not be any scrap scanners.
Instead of scrapping fingerscanners (end products) sometimes some scanners (consumption part) are defective or the plastic cases are scratched so we need to comsume more than expected.
As far as I got into the functionality it is only possible to scrap the output not the consumption.
I tried with production journal as well as with consumption and output journal.
When I try to enter a scrap quantity in consumption journal it tells me that it will expext an output not a consumption.

Is there any possibility to scrap consumption or will I have to write my own functionality?

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes from snowy Austria
Thomas Buchholz
Thomas Buchholz
ekey biometric systems GmbH
4031 Linz
Austria
web: http://www.ekey.net

Comments

• cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Hi,

What flushing method are you using for the components? If you're using anything else but manual you can't use any scrap functions it will consume the quantity you put in output quantity and scrap quantity fields. If you're using manual then you enter the quantity you consume in the quantity field. If you need a quantity of 10 and the real quantity was 11 the you enter 11. But ther is no special function for scrap on components.

But I'm not sure that this is the right way to do this. If the material you get from your vendor is bad then you should'nt use scrap instead use returnorder to your vendor. Scrap should only be used if it's the production process that makes the scrap occur.

In production environment actually we use mixed, forward and manual (for tracked items).

When using scrap functionality I would switch to manual overall.
    In my testing environment I changed the flushing method to manual on all components.

I can enter a higher value on the consumption quantity but I cannot enter a scrap code.
    The items often are too cheap and not repairable so we just dispose them, but we want information how often this happens and what the reason was so that we can evaluate our vendors.
    If I just put in higher quantity I get the right costing but not a report of what the problem was and how often a problem occurs with items of a specific vendor.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance and
    bet wishes from Austria

Thomas Buchholz
    Thomas Buchholz
    4031 Linz
    Austria
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Hi,

Thanks for a good explanation now I understand why you want to do it this way.

NAV doesn't support this so you have to make some customizations.
    In codeunit 22 function PostConsumption you could add another function call if you've entered scrap quantity and scrap reason code to post thoose lines separately.

You could either post them as consumption or as negative adjustments depending on where you want the cost. You also have the possibility to customize to change "Gen prod. posting group" before you post the scrap. This way you could if you want set up so that all scrap posting is done to a separate account no. But this depends on what costing method you have, if you have standard you already have a separate variance account.

Good Luck

Christian Ernst

I was afraid that this would be the answer and NAV is not able to handle this in standard behaviour.
    Well, thank you for your hints on how to cutomize and where to start.
    I will get into this and give it a try.

Thank you for your help and your fast replies.

Best wishes from Austria
    Thomas Buchholz
    Thomas Buchholz
    4031 Linz
    Austria