Developers Toolkit 3.01.410 / SQL 2008 / statup parameters

alexjensenalexjensen Member Posts: 41
Hi all

Until now my DevTool (2.00.291) database has worked as a native NAV server. When starting the DevTool as a client I have used the following command line:

"C:\DevTool200291\DevTool.exe" cfrontdllpath="C:\DevTool200291\",servername=DevTool,Company=MyCompany,nettype=tcp,cache=100000

Now I want to use the new DevTool version 3.01.410. I have installed a new database on SQL 2008 using NAV 2009, created a company, imported the objects and imported objects from a database. So this works and If I start DevTool.exe I can open the database and work with it.

But I can't seem to make a shotcut that opens the database automatically (so more persons can open it at the same time). I have tried this shortcut:

"C:\DevTool301410\DevTool.exe" cfrontdllpath="C:\DevTool301410\",servername=MSSQL\MSSQLSERVER2008,database=MyDatabase,Company=MyCompany,nettype=tcp,cache=100000

But it doesen't work. The "DevTool Manual.pdf" can't help me with this.

Any help here?

Thanks!

AJ

Comments

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    I never used shortcuts like you did so I can't help on that matter. Our developers always open the Toolkit DB manually. As the toolkit remembers the last used DB there is no problem.

Just a remark about the shortcut: Is nettype=SQL correct with a SQL Server? I added "servertype=SQL" and left away the nettype and at least the toolkit did not complain about the servertype (but it also did not open the database).

I did some checks with performance SQL <-> CSIDE with the Toolkit and my advice is to stay with CSIDE as it is much more performant when using the Toolkit compared to SQL.
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39649
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    did you try ... servername="MSSQL\MSSQLSERVER2008", ...?

But like FDickschat wrote, it is best to stay on Native (as long as possible) for performance. Make a service for it. Give it a lot of dbcache and commitcache and everyone can connect to it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• alexjensenalexjensen Member Posts: 41
    Hi again

Have tried "servertype=SQL" (with and without nettype=tcp). Then the error "The operating system cannot find the file MyDatabase. Please check the drive, directory and filename specified".

I have also tried servername="MSSQL\MSSQLSERVER2008"

If I remove database=MyDatabase I get an error 15´, the message "You have not specified a database" and an error 1046.

Regarding performance I have one test myselft. I have made a "Where used" on table 37. In the Native version this search lasted 75 seconds before the answer showed. The same search on the SQL Server took 39 seconds.

Alex
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Try servername=servername:port.

Instead of using the instancename of SQL, go straight for the port it uses.

E.g. servername=localhost:1444. (this is for the local host on port 1444. You need to check which port your instance uses). In the services file, you can find it (or via the SQL Server configuration manager of your instance).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Nope - doesen't help either.

I'm gonna contact Microsoft and let You know it turns out.

AJ
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    alexjensen wrote:
    Regarding performance I have one test myselft. I have made a "Where used" on table 37. In the Native version this search lasted 75 seconds before the answer showed. The same search on the SQL Server took 39 seconds.
    Was that the standard "Where used" without modifying the settings? I tried that on a customer DB (8474 Objects, ~3 Mio. Lines in the Textexport).
    * Local CSIDE: 0:35 Min.,
    * SQL (1 Version): 0:45 Min.
    * SQL (14 Versions): 2:25 Min.
    (I currently have no CSIDE Server available)

It gets much worse when you switch on ALL properties and search for a field (Same DB, T37 F6 - "No.", Options: Set All, then disable General/MenuSuite, Commands/Copy+Transferfields, Assignments/Record):
    * Local CSIDE: 1:54 Min.
    * SQL (1 Version): 27:30 Min.
    * SQL (14 Versions): Still running since 41 minutes, will probably be 2 hours +.

Also: Was the CSIDE Server for the ToolkitDB running on the same hardware as the SQL server? Comparabale Cache and Commitcache settings? How many versions do exist in that DB?
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    Hi Frank

It was a "Where Used" (and not "Where Used With") search without any user settings. The SQL Server and the Native server is on the same physical server (which is a virtual server). Regarding the cache the Native client has 100MB - I cannot take a look at the DevTool Native server cache right now. I can't tell You about cache on the SQL Server (can I?) as it dedicates whatever memory is needed?

The SQL database is new as the Native database is new, and the objects (8000+) have been imported/updated only once.

But I have only made one test, so future test will give me a more reliable performance measurement.

Alex
    Hi all

I have had contact with Microsoft support. They confirmed that it is not possible to make such a shortcut in the current versions of DevTool. The support team have escalated the issue to the developers bit the product is officially unsupported so when and if the problem is solved is unknown.

Alex