Steps in Data Migration

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

I want to know the different steps involved in doing data migration in Dynamics NAV .I am new to this area. So anybody know how to do this , Kindly Suggest me the different steps involved in doing data migration.

Is there is any PDF which briefs me about the steps in Data migration, Kindly send me the link so that i can refer and achieve the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
chandru.

Comments

• chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    chandrurec wrote:

.I am new to this area. So anybody know how to do this , Kindly Suggest me the different steps involved in doing data migration.

It is really very important part in the Implementation process.

it is not small process to explain through forum . I suggest you sit with your seniros to know how to do this process.

chandrurec wrote:
    Is there is any PDF which briefs me about the steps in Data migration, Kindly send me the link so that i can refer and achieve the same.

There is manual regarding the RIM tool , that it explains about the data migration. You have to down load from partner source to get that manual.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Since everyone has their own methods and every project is a little different espically when retriving the data from a non nav system i can only point you towards what MS has officially released.

You can look at
    -RIM toolkit which is specific to NAV,
    - look at the surestep Documentation for NAV projects provided by MS.
    - Upgrade toolkit provided by NAV

These should give you a good starting point and understanding
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Merged posts from double topic]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
    Hi Jannestig,

Can u give me the link to download the VIM Toolkit software which is necessary for doing data migration.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    chandru.
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    Just go through the Cronus company.

Application setup - > Company setup .

you can find the forms about the RIM

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... page=false
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    If you plan data migration because of an upgrade to a newer version and you want to keep your history, then maybe the proper solution is an upgrade kit.
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.
    Hi bstoyano,

I want to migrate data within same versions(i.e 5.0 SP1 W1 ). So is there any way to achieve this using some data migration tool.I am not doing upgradation.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    chandru.
    well,

then use the RIM as all other guys suggested

chengalasettyvsrao gave you a link to a document for the RI Methodology.

We use RIM when we create new databases. I don't know if you can use it to transfer history - ledger entries, posted documents, etc.

By the way, what is your idea of migrating data from-to the same version?
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    Same version to same version ?

Just create a new DB restore and apply/merge any object difference then apply anything thats functionaly different and rename company or DB if you really need,

You sure you dont mean data replication ?
    Hi jannestig ,

I am going to migrate data between same version but in the latest version i have added some fields and so the structure of table is no longer same eventhough i am going to move datas between same version.

Is there any toool available to move data in this kind of scenario.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    chandru.
    What Data is it Static or Transactional ?

If its was just Static EG customer, Items ,GL plan etc.

I would use the rim to export the data selecting on only the fields i needed and making sure any field that were different between the 2 DBS were not selected.

Then i would just import them based on that making sure the Same posting Groups and other validation tables match.
    There is a tool - Upgrade Toolkit. Search on the PartnerSource site under Downloads & Updates > Migration Tools.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.