Nav Password Policy

mratkyamratkya Member Posts: 8
Hi,

Our customer has Navision 5.1. They have also, SQL Sever 2008 and SQL Logins for Navision.

They want that, can we control how many times, users change passwords and passwords lenghts must not be longer or shorter than a parametric value.

For Example,

1- The user has to change his/her password after every 3 months.
2- The Password must not be longer than 8 and shorter than 4.
3- And only Numeric and alphabetic.
4- The new password must not be the same of old one.

Is there a way to do all of them ? In SQL or in Navision?

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Switch to Windows logins and setup policy at active directory
  • shjelshjel Member Posts: 7
    As of SQL Server 2005 database logins can use password policy, you can select the options in the properties of the login.

Also check http://www.google.nl/search?q=password+policy+sql
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    shjel wrote:
    As of SQL Server 2005 database logins can use password policy, you can select the options in the properties of the login.

Also check http://www.google.nl/search?q=password+policy+sql
    BAsically "Yes", but you cannot use these features with NAV - you'll get an ERROR then ... ](*,)
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • shjelshjel Member Posts: 7
    True, NAV does not support this feature (yet). Hopefully in the new version. Maybe you can find some workaround which makes the use of password policy possible?

For now the easiest way to implement password policy is windows authentication.
  • mratkyamratkya Member Posts: 8
    Ok.
    I'm trying to do that on SQL.
    I'll make feedback from here.
    Thank you...
  • AsallaiAsallai Member Posts: 141
    I had a similar question some months ago, my customer would like to simualate their own password policy and implementing it into Navision. They are using SQL, but they are would like to over-managed the sql and handling the password within NAV.
    So, I made in this case to log the users with Windows Authentication, in the codeunit 1 when the company open, I closed the company, this is enforced them, to run my customized User Login form, where is based on the form's procedures and functions. This is really-really not a gentle solution. But the customer is wants, they wants. No questions :)
    I do no recommend it, but it was a tricky solution for them. And they are using it :)
    This is my opinion.
    Thanks.