Options

Manufacturing - Visual Planning Tool

northernernortherner Member Posts: 67
edited 2011-05-06 in NAV Three Tier
Several years ago (3 or more I think) I was at a Microsoft demo of NAV 2009. One of the "wow" moments was a visual planning tool for MPS / MRP, which I seem to remember as a 3D grid allowing various scenarios to be planned for. There's no sign of the tool in the released version of NAV 2009. Does anybody know what happened to it and if there is likely to be a replacement for the GANTT component in the RTC?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    northerner wrote:
    Several years ago (3 or more I think) I was at a Microsoft demo of NAV 2009. One of the "wow" moments was a visual planning tool for MPS / MRP, which I seem to remember as a 3D grid allowing various scenarios to be planned for. There's no sign of the tool in the released version of NAV 2009. Does anybody know what happened to it and if there is likely to be a replacement for the GANTT component in the RTC?

Many thanks.

Probably still under development.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That was not a NAV2009 demo but a prototype back in the day that MSFT still thought they could create one unified Dynamics product, and it was not built in C/SIDE. I don't think there has ever been a serious plan to incorporate that particular functionality into the base version.

It sure looked cool though :mrgreen:
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I saw this demonstrated by Bill Gates at Convergence some time back. It wasn't a product, more of a concept to show what is possible.

In reality there is no way that something like that could be usable in a true manufacturing environment,. and I don't think they ever tried to say it would be released for that purpose. I was just a technology demo.

It was fun to watch though.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    northernernortherner Member Posts: 67
    Such a shame!

Is there any replacement planned for the GANTT planning tool in the RTC?

Thanks
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    northerner wrote:
    Such a shame!

Is there any replacement planned for the GANTT planning tool in the RTC?

Thanks

Don't give up hope yet. No one knows the exact status of the visual planning tool. All statements posted on here are opinions only.
  • Options
    larschlarsch Member Posts: 19
    In 2009 R2 Classic we have a Gantt-tool (Produktion Scedule). I wonder why this facility dont exist in RTC (I have not been able to find it).
    I wonder if this tool is the same tool you are talking about in this tread?
    Production Scedule are a much more ordinary facility than the one you are talking about, I think.
    I would appreciate your comments on this.
    LARSCH
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    We did an addin for this with a .NET Gantt component, thats realy nice, very integrated in NAV and looks nice and that the fact that it's .NET makes it even better (imo).
    I would recomend going for this way if this is an option!
  • Options
    I think this could be a possible solution.
    I tried to find this add-in or simelar on the net, but did not succeed.
    I would like to know if your Add-in for sale or is it perhaps just an internal solution?
    LARSCH
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    It's part of our base version which we distribute. But since we don't use the inernational manufacturing but the Swiss Production, you couldn't use it anyway. This was just to guide the direction.

Maybe we will do a version for the international manufactoring in the future too.
  • Options
    Kind of you. Thank you very much for pointing out a way to handle this.
    I will consider this solution. :-k
    LARSCH