How to make a table non editable but editable from forms

AmaraaAmaraa Member Posts: 153
Hello,

I am trying to make a table non editable if somebody tries to edit directly to the table.
But it will if somebody tries to edit from the form it should succeed.

What the client did is he opened G/L Entry from the Object Designer and made changes directly to the table.

How can I prevent this kind of issue?

Thanks,
Amaraa

Answers

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Table properties always override form properties.

If the client did this on purpose then they are just begging for trouble. Explain the consequences to them and tell them that you and your company cannot be responsible for supporting their system if they are doing this.
  • AmaraaAmaraa Member Posts: 153
    matttrax wrote:
    Table properties always override form properties.

So, it means if I set editable none on the table then the table is non editable in all cases :( :-k
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Amaraa wrote:
    Hello,

I am trying to make a table non editable if somebody tries to edit directly to the table.
    But it will if somebody tries to edit from the form it should succeed.

What the client did is he opened G/L Entry from the Object Designer and made changes directly to the table.

How can I prevent this kind of issue?

Thanks,
    Amaraa

The GL/Entry table is already non editable. So this will not help anyway. It means that the Company either

A/ have been illegally using a partner license, in which case you need to take action to prevent it. OR

B/ they have purchases the Solution Developer and Application Builder granules, in which case they should be properly trained in how to use the, and also understand that they are now responsible for the stuff they do with that license.
    David Singleton
    Oh in in no cases under any circumstances would you want them to edit the GL Entry table form the Form, asking how to do that is completely insane.
    David Singleton
  • vermajrupeshvermajrupesh Member Posts: 1
    through Navision Security you can restrict to access the table, you just restrict the access for Object Designer from all the users.

Rupesh
    They will learn their lesson when the auditor picks that entry to check....I hope [-o<
  • AmaraaAmaraa Member Posts: 153
    Oh in in no cases under any circumstances would you want them to edit the GL Entry table form the Form, asking how to do that is completely insane.
    I think I didn't myself clearly in this case. I just wanted if somebody goes directly to the GL Entry and try to edit it would be non editable. but navision itself can add to the table the data.
    Amaraa wrote:
    I think I didn't myself clearly in this case. I just wanted if somebody goes directly to the GL Entry and try to edit it would be non editable. but navision itself can add to the table the data.

did you read my original post?

The GL/Entry table is already non editable. So this will not help anyway. It means that the Company either

A/ have been illegally using a partner license, in which case you need to take action to prevent it. OR

B/ they have purchases the Solution Developer and Application Builder granules, in which case they should be properly trained in how to use the, and also understand that they are now responsible for the stuff they do with that license.
    David Singleton
    You should pretty much never be editing any table directly. It doesn't matter if it's something as simple as Item Category Code. That's why there are forms. And if the form is not editable then there's a reason for it.