Setting up log setup.

Manish_AhlawatManish_Ahlawat Member Posts: 31
Hi everybody,

I need to set up log for a few fields in some tables.

i.e. Whenever a customer name, ship-to-code are changed their should be a log maintained.

Please advice me how to do this...
Rule from today: Never take others comment in a wrong way, these might help you to travel a long way in your carrier.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Look into the ChangeLog functionality. It's very easy to setup.
  • Manish_AhlawatManish_Ahlawat Member Posts: 31
    matttrax wrote:

What you say is very true..what I want to know is their are two tables "Change Log Setup (Table)" and "Change Log Setup (Field)"..with both of them containing redundant fields.

i.e. if I choose "all fields" in table 403 against "Insertion" then will it override every information regarding fields in table 404.

and is it possible to se a log report for particular users only.

Where can I get into details about these things, please suggest.
    Rule from today: Never take others comment in a wrong way, these might help you to travel a long way in your carrier.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Once you have setup the Change Log you can look at the Change Log entries to see which user changed what. The Help Menus from the client explain exactly how to set it up. I believe it is also in the Financial Manuals. You can also search the forum for even more information.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    matttrax wrote:

What you say is very true..what I want to know is their are two tables "Change Log Setup (Table)" and "Change Log Setup (Field)"..with both of them containing redundant fields.

i.e. if I choose "all fields" in table 403 against "Insertion" then will it override every information regarding fields in table 404.

Hi Manish,

When you purchased Navision, part of the purchase contract with your Navision contract would involve an element of training. Your Navision partner is skilled in the use of all areas of Navision including the change log, and as this seems to be a core requirement for your implementation, it should have been a part of your training.

One of two things went wrong. Either you determined this not necessary as part of trainng and skipped it to save money in the short term. Or this was in your contract, but the partner forgot to include this as a part of your training.

In any case if they have missed training you in this area then there are probably a lot more areas that you still need training in. So call your partner and organize for more training.

It is really not fair for you to expect the community to train you for free instead of you paying to your partner to do it.
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    matttrax wrote:

Hi Manish,

When you purchased Navision, part of the purchase contract with your Navision contract would involve an element of training. Your Navision partner is skilled in the use of all areas of Navision including the change log, and as this seems to be a core requirement for your implementation, it should have been a part of your training.

One of two things went wrong. Either you determined this not necessary as part of trainng and skipped it to save money in the short term. Or this was in your contract, but the partner forgot to include this as a part of your training.

In any case if they have missed training you in this area then there are probably a lot more areas that you still need training in. So call your partner and organize for more training.

It is really not fair for you to expect the community to train you for free instead of you paying to your partner to do it.

The problem is that he works for a microsoft partner... #-o
    This is something you won't be able to help out......
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    ssingla wrote:

Are you sure? How do you know? I am pretty certain this is a very new end user. I can't imagine that a company selling Navision don't know how to set up the change log.

If this really is a partner, then how are their customers learning Navision?
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Let me go get a bowl to catch the sarcasm that is dripping down :mrgreen:
    ssingla wrote:

Are you sure? How do you know? I am pretty certain this is a very new end user. I can't imagine that a company selling Navision don't know how to set up the change log.

If this really is a partner, then how are their customers learning Navision?

I won't comment on what he or his company is going to do but I know him personally. He is a techie with 6 or so months of experience and it seems that he has been pushed in the project with little or no functional support.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    DenSter wrote:
    Let me go get a bowl to catch the sarcasm that is dripping down :mrgreen:

There is little we can do except for ignoring the post like this.... :(
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:
    I won't comment on what he or his company is going to do but I know him personally. He is a techie with 6 or so months of experience and it seems that he has been pushed in the project with little or no functional support.

Well there is something seriously wrong with the system then. Customers pay for a certain standard of services, and its wrong that they don;t get it. The cost of the project will double or triple in cost if the consultants are not adequately trained.
    David Singleton
    edited 2010-02-12
    ssingla wrote:
    There is little we can do except for ignoring the post like this.... :(

Sir, I never thought that you would write some thing like this with no meaning...

But if this is the anger you expressed because I left your project in between I would take it with no regrets...

Yes you know me personally but you didn't told who actually trained me, or who pushed me into a project if I was not that mature..

Pardon me, If I had hurt you any time I worked under you, yes I might be asking small questions here but I am proud that I am learning now with much more pace than I did before and I would reach my goal by putting the efforts in..

Sir, Hereby I request you to take your comments back, you are somebody we thought could be our ideal.....
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    When I was reading this I didn't take it the way you did, so personally.

What I got out of the posts above is that there are more and more questions that should be basic Nav knowledge if you have access to a developers license. I believe the posts above to be simply a show of frustration toward using this forum as a training class. I interpreted the quote to ingore these kinds of posts as "if we don't give them the answer here, perhaps they will read the manuals, docs, pdfs, classes that are provided to increase you knowledge of the product, therefore everybody wins."

I'm an end-user and we heard about nav years ago thru word-of-mouth. That another company was using the product and really liked it. Now if that same company had a bunch of untrained developers working on it and made error after error or took forever to implement, I can assure you that same company would have hated NAV even if it wasn't the products fault and in-turn we would have never even been interested in looking at it.

Customer's are really putting their trust and $$$$ not only into Nav but the people setting it up. If you feel you are missing some knowledge you should go to your company and say, "hey I really need to take course a,b,c to really provide our trusted customers' with some top quality work".

If they say no then I'm not sure that's the kind of company I would like to work for anyway.
    IMHO
    Savatage wrote:
    When I was reading this I didn't take it the way you did, so personally.

What I got out of the posts above is that there are more and more questions that should be basic Nav knowledge if you have access to a developers license. I believe the posts above to be simply a show of frustration toward using this forum as a training class. I interpreted the quote to ingore these kinds of posts as "if we don't give them the answer here, perhaps they will read the manuals, docs, pdfs, classes that are provided to increase you knowledge of the product, therefore everybody wins."

I'm an end-user and we heard about nav years ago thru word-of-mouth. That another company was using the product and really liked it. Now if that same company had a bunch of untrained developers working on it and made error after error or took forever to implement, I can assure you that same company would have hated NAV even if it wasn't the products fault and in-turn we would have never even been interested in looking at it.

Customer's are really putting their trust and $$$$ not only into Nav but the people setting it up. If you feel you are missing some knowledge you should go to your company and say, "hey I really need to take course a,b,c to really provide our trusted customers' with some top quality work".

If they say no then I'm not sure that's the kind of company I would like to work for anyway.
    IMHO

=D> =D> =D> =D>

That pretty much covers it exactly.
    David Singleton
    Savatage wrote:

IMHO

And that is why I am no longer a part of that company now.. and I will put in all the efforts required to better understand this software and the prime target "Customer Satisfaction".
    Savatage wrote:

IMHO

And that is why I am no longer a part of that company now.. and I will put in all the efforts required to better understand this software and the prime target "Customer Satisfaction".

Manish you asked this question 5 days ago. Does that mean that in those 5 days you have now changed company? Or did you change companies more than 5 days ago. If so then nothing has changed.
    David Singleton
    You are not understanding the comments written by the people here & further take the comments personally and that is very :( . Probably you are so amateur to understand it.

If you are bragging about the fact that
    But if this is the anger you expressed because I left your project in between I would take it with no regrets...
    even after being releived in 5 days with all the documentation while hampering the company's project to satisfy your wish to have some oppurtunity than you are the most unprofessional person I have ever met [-X .

I have never and will never recommend anybody from my team to take some external help free of cost when the job can be done with the internal guidance or training especially when I am charging the customer for their effort. Unfortunately you don't seems to enjoy that kind of support now.

I cannot keep every one happy. Some people will like our way of doing things some may not. I am sad for not matching the expectation of everyone but if somebody talks rubbish like yourself then it reminds me the quote
    "When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself" which you obviously won't understand.

Savatage and David have already said enough so I will also end this and hope that you will understand and not take it personally.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:
    I will also end this and hope that you will understand and not take it personally.

Heads Down, every point taken..
    But Sir U need to understand that we still need all your support and motivation..
    Your reply to " ignore the post " was what hurted me the most..
    We will always expect something from you regardless of whether we are or we are not part of the same organisation.

:thumbsup: