Deleting Users

Mark_SteeleMark_Steele Member Posts: 12
What's everyone's thoughts of deleting users in NAV 5.01?

Is there a standard process for this?

With PCI Compliance stating that user accounts should be deleted within 90 days, how would this affect data stored in NAV?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There's not much of a process at all.

You can either disable the account through Windows or SQL and / or delete the account from NAV. There's no affect on data that's already in the system.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The user is generally not a problem. The problem is with the User Setup. This often has links in other tables and deleting them can cause problems down the line. And if you get rid of the user id you do want to also get rid of the user setup.

One option is rename. Rename the User Set up table to something like "DELETEDUSER" Navision will change all the links to point to the new record. Next user, delete the DELETEDUSER record and again you can rename the next user.

In theory it should be possible to just delete them, but I have come across a lot of stupid issues when doing this.
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    In case you rename , don't modify the "Name" field otherwise you will kill the Audit trail. The option we use is to disable the user from SQL (if SQL option is used).
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ssingla wrote:
    In case you rename , don't modify the "Name" field otherwise you will kill the Audit trail. The option we use is to disable the user from SQL (if SQL option is used).

This is what I normally recommend also.

BUT many companies require that users that are no longer inthe company have their user id deleted in these cases there is no option. We had a SOX compliant company once that ater a lot of struggling allowed us to rename each user in Navision to something like DELETED001 which made life easier, but I know the Auditors did not like this and eventually probably wanted those deleted.

Generally I fight strongly for companies to do sensible things, but often there are rules (such as SOX) that as stupid as they are you have to follow them.
    David Singleton