License upgrade

bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
Hi,

I don't know much about licensing of NAV and I am experiencing the following problem:

A client has been using NAV 4 BG sp 1. Now we want to upgrade them to NAV 5 BG sp1 feature pack 1. The client's license has expired (what I see in the txt file is: Exp.Date: <empty>; Warning Date: <empty>; Approv.Date: 28-08-2009; Maint. Date: 08-08-2009). The Feature Pack was released on 15.Jul.2009 (this is the date of the release info on the PartnerSource). I restored a fresh Cronus 5 sp1 fp1 base and uploaded the client's license (which should be up-to-date, as I had an update of the license today, 01.02.2010). But I have no rights to read tables, run codeunits, etc., that come with the feature pack. for example, when I try to post-ship a sales order, I get the following message: "You do not have permission to read the Stat. Reporting Setup Table". I checked the table's number, it's 26501.

Is it the license or is there any other reason for this problem?
Since the client's maintenance expired on 08-08-2009, which is after the release of the feature pack, shouldn't his license include an update for the feature pack as well?

Thanks.
Boris
Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
the floor is concrete.

Answers

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    A customer's license should not expire. Are you sure they are not using a partner license by mistake?
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    Yes, absolutely sure.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I think the license expiring is a bit of a red herring here, and not relevant to the issue at hand. The thing that has expired is the Maintenance plan, NOT the license. As Mattrax points out end user licenses do not expire, you can use them forever.

But...

When you get a new license, add a granule etc. Then all the newly available features are automatically added to the license. But this is not automatic, you need to order a new license form Microsoft. This is why if a customer decides to terminate their support, then the fist thing they do just be for it expires is to request a new license that then contains the latest possible features.

Your partner should have advised you to do this when you were discussing with them about terminating your support agreement.

Anyway there really is nothing you can do, since you are no longer under support you can no longer get these features.
    David Singleton
    edited 2010-02-02
    I think the license expiring is a bit of a red herring here, and not relevant to the issue at hand. The thing that has expired is the Maintenance plan, NOT the license. As Mattrax points out end user licenses do not expire, you can use them forever.

But...

When you get a new license, add a granule etc. Then all the newly available features are automatically added to the license. But this is not automatic, you need to order a new license form Microsoft. This is why if a customer decides to terminate their support, then the fist thing they do just be for it expires is to request a new license that then contains the latest possible features.

Your partner should have advised you to do this when you were discussing with them about terminating your support agreement.

Anyway there really is nothing you can do, since you are no longer under support you can no longer get these features.

Even when
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.

But...

Even when the end of maintenance is after the release of the feature pack?
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    Well its too late now to get a new license because you don't have a support contract.

Talk to your partner, they really should have advised you of all this when you decided not to continue with a maintenance plan.
    David Singleton
    Thanks David, thanks matttrax.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    \:D/ :whistle:
    just to inform you guys, we just received the proper license from MS (after several mails and phone calls). Now the feature pack works fine. :))
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    bstoyano wrote:
    \:D/ :whistle:
    just to inform you guys, we just received the proper license from MS (after several mails and phone calls). Now the feature pack works fine. :))

That is great news. It's excellent that they have helped you even though you are not on a support contract.
    David Singleton
    yes, our client should be happy now.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    Sorry just realized you are the partner not the client.

Some Advise I give to partners (though its rare they do it) is to offer to your clients that when there is a new feature available for Navision, that you automatically order them a new license. Since you are regularly in touch with Microsoft you should know when there is something new. Obviously don't do this every week, but at the minimum every 3 or 6 months if there is something new. And not for every hot fix, but service packs or feature packs etc.

For the client, they see the good will gesture, that you are caring for their interests, and it keeps them uptodate. They are after all paying quite a substantial sum of money in support fees for this.

In return from your side, they may see a new feature they want, or at least if they regularly see new features, is shows them that their support money is actually doing some good. ANd helps them see the big picture of the value of upgrading.

For Microsoft its of course good business to do this for the same reasons, but especially because it encourages clients to see value in the Support policy.

Now having said this I also recommend that part of the reason to do this is so that customers will never be more than 2 versions behind on executables and be always on supported executable. That of course may no longer be the case.
    David Singleton
    Yes, the advice is very good. Thank you. I think people here know this, but I don't know why they don't do it.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    bstoyano wrote:
    Yes, the advice is very good. Thank you. I think people here know this, but I don't know why they don't do it.

The answer I always get is that the client does not want to pay for it. But in reality they are already paying through the support fees they pay.

Oh and one other bonus, from a sales point of view it gives you face time with the client, always a nice thing for a proactive sales force to have access to.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Obviously don't do this every week, but at the minimum every 3 or 6 months if there is something new.

I've always thought this made sense also. I hadn't thought about it for licensing, but I always thought it made sense to call your customer every three months or so to see how their system is running or make sure it is still doing everything they need. Yet I never saw anyone in sales do it.
    You know, the problem is that sales people do not use this forum :D
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.