Upgrade nav3.6 to nav 5.0 SP1

nerminmnerminm Member Posts: 9
I need to make a upgrade client database from version nav 3.6 to nav 5.0 SP1..with the history..
Any experience, suggestion..
I did found on the Microsoft partner source procedure, BUT it don’t mention how to transfer data in the process..
Example if the procedure is taking 4 days I can’t ask client to stop working for 4 days?? How to solve this. And does anybody has a experience??
Thanks in a advance.. [-o<

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    nerminm wrote:
    I need to make a upgrade client database from version nav 3.6 to nav 5.0 SP1..with the history..
    Any experience, suggestion..
    I did found on the Microsoft partner source procedure, BUT it don’t mention how to transfer data in the process..
    Example if the procedure is taking 4 days I can’t ask client to stop working for 4 days?? How to solve this. And does anybody has a experience??
    Thanks in a advance.. [-o<

You need to decide if this is a business stream for you or not.

It will take at least 5 or so upgrades before you get it right. That means that on the first 5 you are going to have to plan to lose money because its a learning process. You will have to learn all the tools and work out procedure that work for you and know how to sell this as a project including downtime. After you ahve done 5 or so you can start to make profits form this and its a good business to be in.

But if you plan to do less than 5 upgrades, then go to an Upgrade center and have them do it for you. It will be MUCH MUCH cheaper*.

* unless of course you think time is free. :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I think you are looking at the wrong documents, because the upgrade toolkit documentation tells you exactly how to transfer the data, in fact, the data never leaves the database.

David is correct, the first upgrade you do will cost more time than you expect, then after the penny drops you can start doing it more efficient.

3.6 is not exactly the best NAV version so you can expect to run into issues with item costing etc.
  • nerminmnerminm Member Posts: 9
    But there is a problem with data transfer..
    In theory data are in the base which I upgrade. But in real time situation client need to work in the meantime. I don’t believe I can do it in the Sunday and Saturday (and they work on the Sunday).
    And it is impossible to do it on the base which is in the use.
    One suggestion is to post “again” all posting which are done in the meantime. I have been monitoring a database use. If I “use” 2 days of work time of the client there is a lot transaction (big tv and news company). So I’m looking for a better situation.
    ](*,)
    Did you read the posts above??????
    David Singleton
    I'm applogize but to what you refer??
    I think you are looking at the wrong documents, because the upgrade toolkit documentation tells you exactly how to transfer the data, in fact, the data never leaves the database.
    ID did upgrade already but never form version 3.6 to 5.0 and and thruth, data never leaves database, but…
    But my problem is logistic. In the developers toolkit documentation there is a instruction for upgrade from 3.6 to 5.0 (and they did wrote it that you can upgrade from 3.6 to 5.0 SP1 directly) but it is time consuming and there is a lot of customization involved). So I’,m asking for first hand experience suggestion or somebody who is willing to do it.. for money of course.
    The thing I tried to point out in my post above, is that doing a simple upgrade is not a big issue, but if the database is large, then you need experience in how to tune the upgrade tool kit to optimize conversion performance. The fact that you don;t know that this tool exists, yet have already done an upgrade before is confusing, since I can't see how you upgraded data without the conversion steps.

So if you think you will do 5 pr more complex upgrades then it makes good sense for you to learn how these tools work and train on them. If not, contact a company like Liberty Grove that specialize in upgrades and have them or another Navision Upgrade Center do the job for you.
    David Singleton
    Thank you, that was information I was looking for!
    Btw where can I find documentation, instruction, education?? I did upgrade via developers tookit on a database where data ware inside, and I a lack of knowledge all data transfer which were problem I did it manually and thru SQL.
    :D
    nerminm wrote:
    ...I a lack of knowledge all data transfer which were problem I did it manually and thru SQL.
    :D

That is really bad. How did you convert all the data (not transfer, I mean convert). The data is not compatible like this.
    David Singleton
    manualy.... :oops: :^o
  • nthainthai Member Posts: 22
    I did about 10 plus Upgrades in the past. They all were very successful. I have been off the Navision VAR grids for 5 years now, so I'm a little rusty.

I remember specificly the data moves by using Navision Backup and Restore. I assumed after you merged all the changes.
    I left the Navision VAR, SCS, but I taught a guy name Son Vo the specials technique. He has upgraded a dozen more since.
    All can be done over the weekend! But I'm telling you, it is VERY VERY hardworks!
    Usually, we show up to the client site, take down the Server at 5pm or 6pm, brought the Database to our Hotel. Have the fastest Laptop you can afford or arrange the client to get you the fastest pentium chip. We literally run the upgrade from 7pm Friday to Sunday midnight. You got to train yourself so freaking GOOD that you have no downtime during this upgrade; from Fri night to Sunday night. Monday at 5am you go back to the client office and launch the new 5.0 sp1.
    Also be prepared all the Customer Service clerks are going to go after you on that Monday....
    Good luck...Practice Practice Practice...

NIEM THAI
    Thanks.. In your experience was there customization on the database (3.6 wich „must“ go to 5.0 SP1) ?? And btw how much is average cost to client.. How much client cost hands (or work without licence) if is not a trade secret.
    nthai wrote:
    All can be done over the weekend! But I'm telling you, it is VERY VERY hardworks!

Sorry Niem, but I really do doubt what you are saying above. If serious you would be very very rich, because I come across many Navision upgrades, where the single largest cost of the upgrade is the shutting down the company to upgrade. If you can do the whole thing in a weekend, companies would pay you very very handsomely for this service. You could easily earn $50,000 in a weekend.

What I think is the case here, is that you hit on some fairly unmodified systems, on very very small databases. I can not see you doing this on a seriously modified and large database.
    David Singleton
    nerminm wrote:
    Thanks.. In your experience was there customization on the database (3.6 wich „must“ go to 5.0 SP1) ?? And btw how much is average cost to client.. How much client cost hands (or work without licence) if is not a trade secret.

There is no "average" please read my comments above. You need experience to be able to quote this. You have not answered the fundamental question. Do you plan to do lots more of these, or just a few.

nerminm wrote:
    How much client cost hands (or work without licence) if is not a trade secret.

What does that mean.
    David Singleton
    a lot, if a lot is 4 or meybe 5 of them :) ..
    nerminm wrote:
    a lot, if a lot is 4 or meybe 5 of them :) ..

Sorry that didn't help. :-k
    David Singleton
  • nthainthai Member Posts: 22
    nthai wrote:

Sorry Niem, but I really do doubt what you are saying above. If serious you would be very very rich, because I come across many Navision upgrades, where the single largest cost of the upgrade is the shutting down the company to upgrade. If you can do the whole thing in a weekend, companies would pay you very very handsomely for this service. You could easily earn $50,000 in a weekend.

What I think is the case here, is that you hit on some fairly unmodified systems, on very very small databases. I can not see you doing this on a seriously modified and large database.

David,

I just read your thought and sorry I didn't mean it that way. Most of my upgrades were Manufacture Co. or Supplier/Distribution Companies. Some with modest and some with heavily modifications and database sizes is at 20GB. Project this size is usually at 220hr x $185/hr = $40,700
    But it takes like a month for preparation. I did all the merging for those modified objects in-house and run the entire upgrade with the backup database. Once upgraded, you do yourself a Self-test. Then bring that 20Gb database to the client and setup and training environment. Get their input. Have them test out their daily routines and report to you of any bugs. Once they've approved (2 weeks later), then you schedule for a Go Live date.
    If there is a holiday, awesome. But most of my Go Live dates are always from Fri at 5pm to Sunday at around mid-night. Then on Monday bring the database back to the client office at 5am and get them Live.

I used to have an Excel spreadsheet that breakdown step by step and how to accurately Quote a customer for an upgrade.

Good money but lot of hard works.

NIEM THAI
    Thanks for the clarification. That is much more realistic.
    David Singleton
    Thanks too...NOW I have a picture.....:)