Flow Field on a Flow Field - Can it be done?

AndyClarkeAndyClarke Member Posts: 6
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Navision and am having an issue with Flow Fields. Can someone please put me back on track!

I've got a Vehicle table which has a link by an ID back to a Model table

The model table has a 'Vehicle Type' which just says 'CAR' or 'VAN'

I put a flow field on Vehicle so that it also has a 'Vehicle Type' - this works fine ...

Heres the problem ...

In my Purchase Line table I have an ID referencing the Vehicle table, but it would be really useful to know if its a car or van so I tried to put a Flow Field back to the 'Vehicle Type' (which is the flow field on vehicle) - this dosnt work - if i change it to a none Flow Field on vehicle this works fine!

Am I trying to do something that can't be done? or is it possible to set up a flow field that jumps across two tables?

Can anyone please help?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Yes, but you need to make sure the control numbers are sequential so that they first one calculates before the second.
    David Singleton
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    edited 2010-01-29
    Yes, but you need to make sure the control numbers are sequential so that they first one calculates before the second.

and..First one must be visible (even if you wan't see this value) for proper count second. Calcfield propery in form properties or calcfields in code onafter don't help with this

Edit : It is not about of control ID seqence - It is about form "real" view. I mean.. If user Change sequence of the field (grab and put second column before first) this stop working (when he open form again with this new view) - it is some danger of that, because user can destroy the logic 8)
    As you know .. if He can - He do it :D
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309

Seriously? I wish I had known this a long time ago. If this is not in the Tips and Tricks section, it should be.
  • AndyClarkeAndyClarke Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I've set it up now so that "Vehicle Type" in Model is 50013, the "Vehicle Type" flow field in Vehicle is 50013 and the "Vehicle Type" flow field on "Purchase Line" is 50014.

Unfortunately it still dosnt work, have I done what you suggested or have I missed the point?

Cheers,

Andy
    You need to set the control numbers to be sequential, not the field numbers.
    David Singleton
    Controls are the boxes on forms that contain data. I was assuming you knew that.
    David Singleton
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    AndyClarke wrote:
    Hi,

I've set it up now so that "Vehicle Type" in Model is 50013, the "Vehicle Type" flow field in Vehicle is 50013 and the "Vehicle Type" flow field on "Purchase Line" is 50014.

Unfortunately it still dosnt work, have I done what you suggested or have I missed the point?

Cheers,

Andy

Sorry - i don't understand correctly.

You want FlowField based on flowfield of other table - this will not work without code and variable instead of standard field
    I post about 2 flowfields in the same table - One based on another.

So .. to do it in one table:

First flowField on purchase must take value of Vehicle Field which connect Vehicle with model table (maybe Model Code or something)
    Second flowfield in purchase can have almost the same calcformula as you have on "vehicle" table to calc "vehicle type" because now you have this value on purchase table (first flowfield)

I don't think this is good solution by the way..
  • AndyClarkeAndyClarke Member Posts: 6
    I'm working with Navision at a table level only - I'm using 2009 web services to access the data.

I thought you were referring to the field ID's for some reason!

I guess as my web service is effectively exposed from a page I could use the ordering of the fields in my page. I'll try that!

Thanks for your help with this.
    AndyClarke wrote:
    I'm working with Navision at a table level only - I'm using 2009 web services to access the data.

I thought you were referring to the field ID's for some reason!

I guess as my web service is effectively exposed from a page I could use the ordering of the fields in my page. I'll try that!

Thanks for your help with this.

Arrrrggghhhhhhhh

why did you keep this secret? It would have helped to know this.

So if you are using web services, then you can just calculate the data with normal table gets, or add a function onto the form to pull the data you need.

The only time you would base a flow field on a flow field is to simplify coding on a form, for example an enduser that does not have access to code, but does have the table and form designer.

In your case just write a function in Navision on the table and expose that to web services.
    David Singleton