Tablebox column that isn't a table field

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

I want to put a olumn on a tablebox that is not an actual field in the table involved.

For example. I have a table with an Item No. On the tablebox I have the Item No. column as per normal, and I want to display the Item's description in the next column - but without adding an item description field to the underlying table and populating it from the item record when the item no changes.

Adding a 'textbox' column to the form is easy - but I'm sort of lost on getting the current row's item description to appear.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction here?

Many thnks.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Here's a nudge.

Once you get a record from the database (think which trigger this is) you need to manually retrieve the item record from the database. You can then use that Item record, and its corresponding fields, in your columns.
  • SaalekSaalek Member Posts: 181
    Hi

Create a variable ItemName an and TItem record Variable.
    In OnAfterGetCurrRecord trigger,

TItem.reset;
    If TItem.get(Itemno) then
    ItemName:=TItem.Description;

Bye
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Add a function to the table that the form uses as its REC variable. The function would return the description that you want to display. Then use the fucntion as the source expression for your table box.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Right. Got it. Thanks!
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    bhalpin wrote:
    Hi.

I want to put a olumn on a tablebox that is not an actual field in the table involved.

For example. I have a table with an Item No. On the tablebox I have the Item No. column as per normal, and I want to display the Item's description in the next column - but without adding an item description field to the underlying table and populating it from the item record when the item no changes.

Adding a 'textbox' column to the form is easy - but I'm sort of lost on getting the current row's item description to appear.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction here?

Many thnks.
    if your problem is that you don't want to recalculate the description every time it changes, use a lookup flowfield!this type of field read the description autmatically, from the desired table...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog