Posting takes too much time.. HELP!

BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
Hey guys, I've searched forum fair enough, but still got no answer.. We have Nav 5.0 with SQL Server 2005, everything seemed to work fine 'till yesterday. We've deleted set of records from Gen. Journal Line Archive table. And now posting of Shipments takes too much time, and it goes to deadlock at the end; I don't know if this is the cause, but this is the only odd thing we did. What can I do to solve this problem?
Thanks for answers!
MCSD
Attain Navision

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If you're on SQL Server 5.0 you're in serious need of an upgrade.

All kidding aside, what steps have you taken to diagnose the issue?

Run client monitor during posting?
    Run a SQL Profiler on the user doing the posting?

As I'm sure you read slowness can be caused by any number of things.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Gen. Journal Line Archive does not sound like a standard NAV table.

I agree with Matt. First un Client Monitor on the process to see what hits you.

If you have access to SQL Server Management studio 2008 you can also see the most expensive queries from the database activity menu. If you are on SQL 2005 you can download the 2008 mgt. studio for free and see the same information. This will save you the trouble of starting and analysing SQL Profiler.
  • BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
    I've optimized Cust. Ledger Entry table, and somehow it worked for me... What if the same situation comes up again? Where can I find info of DB tuning Tips&Tricks?
    MCSD
    Attain Navision
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It seems that you are missing some maintenance jobs for your SQL...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yup.

Just schedule a standard reindex every week and you're home free. :mrgreen: