Help needed: Nav server not connected error

subhastersubhaster Member Posts: 64
Hi All,
We are facing a strange problem. We are having SQL Server 2008 and Windows server 2008as our server. we have succesfully installed NAV in that machine. Our clients are all having XP with Service pack 3. And we also have succesfully installed clients in all the client machines. we are using sql server option. When we are trying to open the server from the client:-
server name : srvshv001
when we are trying to open the server from the client, the database list is not showing up, and an error is coming:
'Server srvshv001 cannot be found. try sometime later or contact your system administrator'
We can't spot the cause behind this. We have tried analyzing the relevant services. Still nothing worthy is happening.
Please throw some light on this.

Thanks and regards,
Subhasish
Subhasish Chakraborty,
Systems Analyst,
MBS Dynamics.

Comments

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    It's not a bug, it's a feature :mrgreen: Starting from NAV 5 the list of servers will only show the localhost and the server you are already connected to but no other servers. MS said this is because the list was sporadically showing wrong results. The servername must be typed in (or put it in a parameter in the shortcut).

If the NAV Client can not find the server name this might be a question of the Net Type (Tab Advanced in the Open DB Dialog) or a simple DNS problem in the Network (open a command prompt and ping the server. If ping gives you an IP address DNS is working).
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • subhastersubhaster Member Posts: 64
    Hi Frank,
    I tried pinging the server from the client machine, and the server was replying properly. I also have used all three net types. Yet the result was all the same.
    Am I missing something? Some more things are required to be configured?

Thanks and regards,
    Subhasish
    Subhasish Chakraborty,
    Systems Analyst,
    MBS Dynamics.
    Have you tried connecting to the server with the IP instead of the name?
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    Hi Frank,
    yeah, I tried using the IP instead as well. Yet the same error I am getting. ](*,)
    Any hint?

Thanks and regards,
    Subhasish
    Subhasish Chakraborty,
    Systems Analyst,
    MBS Dynamics.
    Firewall on Client or Server?
    Just to make sure that it works without the Network: Did you try installing a client on the server itself and accessing the server from there? In the Open database Dialog fiels servername try "." instead of the servername or IP. The "." will bypass the Network.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    The firewall is in the server only, but it is disabled. Also itried using '.', yet the same error is coming.
    I have installed a client in the server itself. and strangely enough, it is allowing me to open the database names from there.
    But the moment I am trying to do the same from the client, I am getting the same error.
    Subhasish Chakraborty,
    Systems Analyst,
    MBS Dynamics.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Have you opened the port 1433 on the server firewall? That you ping the server doesn't mean that this port is open... SQL installation is not opening the port automatically...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi,
    the firewall is disabled in the server. Do i still have to open the port?

Thanks and regards,
    Subhasish
    Subhasish Chakraborty,
    Systems Analyst,
    MBS Dynamics.
  • sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Hi Subhasish,

I got the same problem, did you manage to fixed this? Please share. Thanks.

Regards,

Sendoh
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.