NAS Error

lloydsmodslloydsmods Member Posts: 93
I am having trouble with a NAS install using NAV 5.0 SP1. We are running two servers on the same box. The computer name is MOSLER. We have the Financials Database Server called MOSLER running NAV 2.60. We just upgraded the customer to 5.0 SP1 and we installed the new database server and called it MOSLER1. We edited the hosts and services files on the server and the client machines to make this work.

This was done, initially, so they could test the conversion while continuing to operate in 2.60. Once the final conversion was done, I simply stopped the new DB service, replaced the test database with the new live one, and then restarted the service.

Now I am installing the NAS for a web application we have developed. We named it CUMB_NAS and completed all the setup in the Management Console but the service will not start. I performed the same task locally and it worked so it's not a problem with the executable.

When we try to start the service we get this error:
Could not start the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Application Server CUMB_NAS service on Local computer. Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
The event viewer shows us this, but I have no idea what it means.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/23/2010
Time: 9:10:16 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MOSLER
Description:

Faulting application nas.exe, version 5.0.26084.0, faulting module nas.exe, version 5.0.26084.0, fault address 0x000143d0.
Is this a conflict with the old server service which is named the same as the computer? Should I uninstall the old DB service? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If guns cause crime mine must be defective.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Version 5.0.26084 is initial version of SP1. I recommend to request newest hotfix from Microsoft and use it.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • lloydsmodslloydsmods Member Posts: 93
    Well, we submitted a support request to Microsoft and here's what we got:

"I understand that you are trying to start the NAS and you are getting the error message above.

I have been doing some research and this error has only come up one other time in a case. In this case there were several things that were checked and they are as follows:

1. If you are using a Domain Account to run the NAS Service check to ensure that there is not an account policy forcing the password to change. In addition, if the password has changed, the service account needs to be updated with the new password for this account. You can retype the password by going to Services and selecting the properties for the NAS service and go to the Log On tab. You can then retype the password for the account listed there and try starting the service again.

2. The other thing you want to check is to ensure that your temp directory is empty for the account that is running the NAS.

C:\Documents and Settings\navision_admin\Local Settings\Temp

3. The other option you have is to reinstall the NAS as there may be some corrupt files and by uninstalling and reinstalling will ensure that the files are no longer corrupt.
    "

Which was not helpful. #1 doesn't apply, #2 did not help, and #3 was tried four times already.

Do we need to modify the HOSTS or SERVICES files on the server to account for the NAS? To get the second database server (5.0 SP1) to work, we had to add an entry in the hosts file and then we added a line in the SERVICES file to assign the new server to TCP port 2408. Without both changes the new database server attempted to start the old (2.60) database. Is it possible that we need a change like this for the NAS so it doesn't confuse the old database with the new, since the computer name (MOSLER) matches the financials database server name (MOSLER)? Is it possible the NAS is confusing MOSLER the computer with MOSLER the old database server?

Grasping at straws here, I know, but it's all I have at this point. We have a major project waiting for the NAS to start and we can't move forward until it does.
    If guns cause crime mine must be defective.
  • SaalekSaalek Member Posts: 181
    Hi
    lloydsmods wrote:
    Well, we submitted a support request to Microsoft and here's what we got:

"I understand that you are trying to start the NAS and you are getting the error message above.

I have been doing some research and this error has only come up one other time in a case. In this case there were several things that were checked and they are as follows:

1. If you are using a Domain Account to run the NAS Service check to ensure that there is not an account policy forcing the password to change. In addition, if the password has changed, the service account needs to be updated with the new password for this account. You can retype the password by going to Services and selecting the properties for the NAS service and go to the Log On tab. You can then retype the password for the account listed there and try starting the service again.

2. The other thing you want to check is to ensure that your temp directory is empty for the account that is running the NAS.

C:\Documents and Settings\navision_admin\Local Settings\Temp

3. The other option you have is to reinstall the NAS as there may be some corrupt files and by uninstalling and reinstalling will ensure that the files are no longer corrupt.
    "

Which was not helpful. #1 doesn't apply, #2 did not help, and #3 was tried four times already.

Do we need to modify the HOSTS or SERVICES files on the server to account for the NAS? To get the second database server (5.0 SP1) to work, we had to add an entry in the hosts file and then we added a line in the SERVICES file to assign the new server to TCP port 2408. Without both changes the new database server attempted to start the old (2.60) database. Is it possible that we need a change like this for the NAS so it doesn't confuse the old database with the new, since the computer name (MOSLER) matches the financials database server name (MOSLER)? Is it possible the NAS is confusing MOSLER the computer with MOSLER the old database server?

Grasping at straws here, I know, but it's all I have at this point. We have a major project waiting for the NAS to start and we can't move forward until it does.

This is Microsoft :D:D

A question. The user you used to Start NAS service is local administrator in the server machine ???

Regards
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Are you able to run the NAV client using the same account?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.