Just some random NAV bugs happened to me

superjetsuperjet Member Posts: 40
There are some bugs occur in NAV, that you can't reproduce. Here is my list I remember so far:
1. NAV 4.03
Open any object in C/AL Designer with developer license. Type some code. Save&Compile -> Navision application closes without any error. Repeated all the time I restarted NAV.
The solution was to erase ZUP file

2. NAV 4.03
Once I have worked with C/AL code and all Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X keyboard combinations stopped worked in NAV. But at the same time they worked, for example, in notepad. Restarting C/AL designer did not solve this problem. (memory leaks in C++? ](*,) ) Restarting NAV application did help.

3. NAV 4.03 sql
Once opening a standard text field in a General Ledger Setup form, NAV application closed with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable error (I suppose this is polymorphism in C++):
This is pure virtual function (error 15xx)
Application will be closed: finsql.exe

I could not reproduce these bugs, because they are simply random.
Maybe someone on this forum wants to share with his experience to help MS :wink:

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    my advice is to reinstall the client...i've never seen these errors in nearly 3 years of work...maybe i'm just lucky?
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • superjetsuperjet Member Posts: 40
    each bug appeared just one time in a 3 year period and on separate PC's, so.. you are lucky :)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Almost 10 years for me and I don't think I've ever seen those particular errors before. Lots of other strange ones though, seemingly random events that leave you with a question mark hanging over your head. Just get used to weird errors happening once in a while, that's part of NAV 'charm'.
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    superjet wrote:
    I could not reproduce these bugs, because they are simply random.

I don't think it's random. There has to be a reason. But on many of those weird cases we don't care about the reason, we just want it to work. So we reinstall. Only if it happens twice we start to investigate.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In most cases it is problem of first versions of some release without hotfixes. Like falling NAV 5.00 client, 4.00 etc. Sometime it is a problem of first compatible versions running on Vista/7 (4.00SP3 update 1 - right click on client will crash the client etc. if I remmember correctly)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    something I've seen that is interesting is that you would be able to open two separate clients on same local fdb file without a server.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, if you open the clients on one PC, they are "sharing" the connection... but you cannot open two different DBs or open them from different PCs...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    kine wrote:
    Yes, if you open the clients on one PC, they are "sharing" the connection... but you cannot open two different DBs or open them from different PCs...
    sorry for the cross posting, but i think that this statement can be somewhat linked to this other...(it's old but yesterday i posted my own case)
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38938
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog