Historical Data imported in ? What is the best way ?

cvealecveale Member Posts: 135
To be quite honest, I have done lots of NAV implementations, with each one, only opening balances have been brought in. Until now.
So let's make this simple, fiscal year of Jan.1 - Dec. 31.
Right now it is Jan. 19 2010.
Let's say the client wants historical GL data brought in from the 2008, and 2009 years. I am almost stuck as what to do. Do i have the client give me their Trial Balance for the year ending Dec. 31 2007. Import this into a journal and post it. Then run the Year End procedure?
Then do i get the Trail Balance for the year ending Dec. 31 2008, import this into a journal and post it, and run the year end procedure?
I am not really sure, but if the client wants detailed entries, this journal could be HUGE.
Also, has anyone brought in historical data for vendors and customers and items?

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Yes we did for the general ledger. Our prior system was able to export a text file with the net month activity summarized by account. So we made a journal entry with each of those for the prior 3 years, it worked fine. We didn't enter the complete detail, just the net account activity, so March 1997 net inventory account was a credit of $10,176. It took some work, but it wasn't that bad.
  • cvealecveale Member Posts: 135
    So to get this straight, for an example.

March 97 - inventory - CR $10,176
    April 97 - inventory - CR $3,456
    May 97 - inventory - CR $3,000

etc
    etc

Okay, then at the end of the year for 97, did you have to do a year end procedure to zero out the income statement accounts? What about the balance sheet acounts?
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Yes we had to do the year end procedure. I did the balance sheet accounts also.
  • cvealecveale Member Posts: 135
    Would you have any steps I could follow to properly bring in the GL History?

I can import in a detailed GL Trial Balance from 2003, then do I run the Year End ?

If so, any revenue/expense will go to a retained earnings account.

So for 2004, my I/S accounts are zero, and my balance sheet accounts are the same as the end of the year.

Then import in all the 2004 transactions, verify the numbers and then run the YE again?