is there a tool to change field length in all objects atonce

mlaforsmlafors Member Posts: 18
Is there a tool to change the length of a text or code field, which exists in several objects, at once.

I would like to increase the item description field, but I don't know i which objects it exists. Both as a field and as a variable.

Is there a tool or trick to do this without going through all the objects manually?

Thanks in advance, Marco

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Not that I am aware of. You can use the developer's toolkit and the "Where Used" functionality to start with, though.

Are you sure the combined Description and "Description 2" fields aren't enough to meet your needs? This is really a massive undertaking. The odds of you, or anyone for that matter, getting everything right on the first try are slim (no offense).

Search the forum for "increase description length" or "change description length" or similar queries and you'll find plenty of posts on the topic.
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    As matttrax says:
    This is really a massive undertaking.
    Once you did your investigation using the Developer's Toolkit (NDT), like matttrax suggests you could change fields in the Field table applying the right filters based on your NDT results. BUT ... be aware that it's possibly not only fields involved but also variables.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Do not do it! Do this only as a last solution, if no way around exists (and I think that there is some each time). Changing length of one field could have cascading effect which is hard to stop...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    and don't forget that if you want to upgrade to a newer version, you have to re-change all the descriptions, too!!
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • mlaforsmlafors Member Posts: 18
    Thanks everybody for your replies.

I have solved the problem with the Developers Tool Kit. Great tool by the way, you can search and filter almost everything to get a good view on what to change.

Thanks again, Marco
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    kine wrote:
    Do not do it! Do this only as a last solution, if no way around exists (and I think that there is some each time). Changing length of one field could have cascading effect which is hard to stop...

You tried :thumbsup:
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    let's wait for the topic
    "Overflow conversion from text to text Text50 --> Text30"
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    mlafors wrote:
    Thanks everybody for your replies.

I have solved the problem with the Developers Tool Kit. Great tool by the way, you can search and filter almost everything to get a good view on what to change.

Thanks again, Marco

But you do not find whole chain, if the field is assigned into variable, this variable is passed as parameter, this parameter is assigned to some other field, this field is used in some process... everywhere you need to extend the length and this is the biggest challange. You did the first step, now you need to do another hundreds of steps to finish it... :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    ..You did the first step, now you need to do another hundreds of steps to finish it... :whistle:

No I think you are wrong. The way it works for most of these companies today, Marco has done his job and can sit back and go to the next job. It will probably be someone else that has to worry about making it work. Maybe even Marco works for an off shore company, so why would he care if it works or not? So long as his company gets paid.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Marco clearly filtered out any response here unless it told him how to solve his issue. So those of you that told hi how to solve this can think next time:

What do you tell someone when they ask "How do I stick my head in the fire" Do you think if you tell them how and add a small warning that they listen to the warning? No they skip that part and just listen to how to stick their head in the fire, and then when they get burnt they ask why?
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Marco clearly filtered out any response here unless it told him how to solve his issue. So those of you that told hi how to solve this can think next time:

What do you tell someone when they ask "How do I stick my head in the fire" Do you think if you tell them how and add a small warning that they listen to the warning? No they skip that part and just listen to how to stick their head in the fire, and then when they get burnt they ask why?

He may have, and he may not be the one who ends up suffering because of it, but the forums are available to answer everyone's questions. The original poster may not have paid attention to the warnings, but hopefully the next person who wants to do this does a search and finds this and other posts...wait, what am I saying...no one searches for anything anymore ](*,)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Sorry :oops: but my frustration on this is reaching (has reached) breaking point.
    David Singleton