Navision Native 3.7 compatibility with Windows Server 2008

Vineeth.RVineeth.R Member Posts: 121
Dear Friends,

Is navision 3.7 native compatible with Windows Server 2008? If it requires hotfixes then please provide the link to get those as well.
Thanks and Regards
Vineeth.R

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    No, they are not compatible.
    Windows 2008 and Windows Vista are based on the same technology. So only from 4.00SP3 with hotfix you can run it.

And I am very sure, because I use Windows 2008 as workstation (a lot better than Vista!) and I have a customer 4.0SP3 native without hotfix and it does not work.

They way to fix this problem is to create a virtual machine with XP or Windows 2003 and run the client in it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• mdamda Member Posts: 10
    Anybody can provide Navision 3.7 limitations of native DB and SQL (size, versions, etc)?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    3.7 (both native as SQL) does NOT work on Windows Vista,Windows 2009,Windows 7. (it should work on Windows 7 with XP-mode, because in reality it is a stripped down virtual machine with XP in it).

3.7 does work on SQL2000,SQL2005,SQL2008 (NO dbsize limit [USE ONLY standard or Enterprise])

Native size limit is 64 GB (I think)

Why don't you just do a technical upgrade to a later version?
    It is still possible to remain on native. But if your native DB is close to 10GB (or more), I would definitly consider SQL server. But this requires more testing and a bigger server.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• mdamda Member Posts: 10
    kriki wrote:
    Why don't you just do a technical upgrade to a later version?
    It is still possible to remain on native. But if your native DB is close to 10GB (or more), I would definitly consider SQL server. But this requires more testing and a bigger server.

We have more than 50% changes comparing to "clear" native functionality and for our it's a little expensive to shift to new version. Our version say that max amount in KB is 131072000 and we are close to it :( I understant, that is better solution to go on SQL and we think about it :) Does anybody have step-by-step starting NAV 3.7 on SQL? - Would be nice to test in on demo server.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    I think that is a misunderstanding: Kriki suggested a technical upgrade only. By doing so you are only switching the NAV program (the Exe) from your current 3.70 to something newer (latest 4.03, 5.01 or 2009 SP1).

If your DB is almost at 128GB I would definitely suggest to switch to SQL. But coming from a 3.70 (which is heavily modified) you can expect some performance problems.

To create a SQL DB:
    Make a NAV backup
    Start NAV SQL-Client, connect to SQL Server and create a new DB from NAV.
    Restore backup into your new DB
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting